Is it ok to refreeze raw chicken

MrMajeika

Local time
9:08 AM
I have some chicken and giblets to make some soup. Family member bought it and gave me half but I didn't realise they bought it frozen. They thawed it in the fridge so they could cut it up. I didn't think and put it straight back in the freezer. Is it ok to use? I was looking online and it seems to be that if it was thawed in the fridge then it's fine. She put it straight in the fridge when bought and I picked it up two days later

If the chicken went from frozen to the refrigerator, you should be fine putting it back in the freezer. If it sat out on the countertop for a while, it needed to be cooked. The fridge kept the meat out of the "danger zone" for bacteria.

CD

The thing to be aware of is Freezer Burn. Taking the Chicken out of its original packaging, thawing and refreezing without sealing in good packaging will open the possibility of Freezer Burn. Any meat can suffer this.

It's probably too late now but I would not refreeze it. Foods generally taste different if thawed and refrozen.

In that situation, I would have cooked it first and then put in freezer if I wasn't going to eat it right away.

It's probably too late now but I would not refreeze it. Foods generally taste different if thawed and refrozen.

In that situation, I would have cooked it first and then put in freezer if I wasn't going to eat it right away.

A better strategy might be to pre-cook it and refrigerate with the intent to use it in the next two days, no longer than say, three days.

Back
Top Bottom