Is soup a food or beverage?

Shaun

Guru
Local time
12:24 PM
Just had a protracted discussion in the office about whether soup is classifieds as a food or beverage. What do you think?

Just had a protracted discussion in the office about whether soup is classifieds as a food or beverage. What do you think?

In my book, & from what it was always told, soup is s food, mainly an appetizer.

But when I make it, it is always the main course, because it has just about everything in it except the kitchen sink. Hah! :wink:

Soup is a food. Or at least the way I make it. Now broth which is the basis for most soups can be a drink.

Well you all seem to be on the same side as me; despite being liquid, it's a food.

Smoothies, on the other hand, are definitely drinks ... or are they? :o_o:

In a cup, a drink/beverage. In a bowl, I'd say a course on it's own.
Think
"Soup of the Day"
sign

Smoothies, a quick drink. As intended, They're just getting a bit too fancy, almost fad like.

All food however, "any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink or that plants absorb in order to maintain life and growth."

soup is food. smoothies are drinks. What do you normally serve them in and to be eaten with?

OK the French (bless them) drink coffee or hot chocolate out of a bowl in the morning a breakfast but, as an idea...
Soup is served in a bowl with a spoon and smoothies are served in a glass and either with or without a straw

I think that some (particularly savoury) smoothies are intended as a food and are often used by health fanatics to replace meals. Some are as thick as a thick veg soup and contain at least as many vegetables. The only difference I can detect between those type of smoothies and a vegetable soup is that the ingredients used to make the smoothie are processed raw and the result served cold.

I think that some (particularly savoury) smoothies are intended as a food and are often used by health fanatics to replace meals. Some are as thick as a thick veg soup and contain at least as many vegetables. The only difference I can detect between those type of smoothies and a vegetable soup is that the ingredients used to make the smoothie are processed raw and the result served cold.
Or "Potassium Blast Revisited" which had to be finished with a spoon!

Or "Potassium Blast Revisited" which had to be finished with a spoon!
Here it is. An experiment never to be repeated! :laugh: Potassium Blast revisited.

Photo on 18-11-2015 at 21.47 #2.jpg

I'd say it's a food beverage. Can't that work? You eat the foodie ingredients and drink the beverage..

Soup is food and food is soup! (mostly...) I mean we always have soup only or soup with some main course. Every day, except Sunday.

Normally, soup is eaten from a bowl with a spoon. The people who put soup into a mug and try and drink it are the ones who are confusing the issue! They usually end up with using a spoon at the end anyway.
So, it's a food.
You could therefore say that any smoothie that is too thick to drink without the aid of a spoon is also a food.

Back
Top Bottom