Is there a quick way to tenderize pork belly?

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
9:20 PM
I had read two recipes about pork belly. One is Japanese and the other is Vietnamese. I am planning to bring my friends over and cook any of the said recipe. I do not have the whole three hours though to cook and wait for my pork belly to become tender. Is there a shorcut or better way to achieve the same tenderness I want for my pork belly?

I had read two recipes about pork belly. One is Japanese and the other is Vietnamese. I am planning to bring my friends over and cook any of the said recipe. I do not have the whole three hours though to cook and wait for my pork belly to become tender. Is there a shorcut or better way to achieve the same tenderness I want for my pork belly?
Sadly not. But you could could it even slower in a low low oven for 6 or even 8 hrs whilst you are out. Or failing that you can cook ahead of time and simply heat in oven when required. I do a Vietnamese pork belly recipe using a slow-cooker (crock pot). If you use that you can put it on in the morning and forget it until the evening.

What are the recipes?

I am thinking about a pressure cooker although I have not used it in years. That's a sure way to get things done quickly. I have not used my slow cooker in years. I remember when I bought it 'centuries' ago I was almost afraid to use it.

I am thinking about a pressure cooker although I have not used it in years. That's a sure way to get things done quickly. I have not used my slow cooker in years. I remember when I bought it 'centuries' ago I was almost afraid to use it.
Oh yes, I'd forgotten that. A pressure cooker would speed things up.

Surprised you haven't used your slow-cooker @winterybella. Its so easy!

Our favorite with pork belly is the crispy fried. For tenderizing, the marinade does it for us - vinegar, soy sauce, crushed garlic, sugar and spices. After marinating for 30 minutes, the mixture is boiled for 20 minutes and the pork belly, that is sliced in desired sizes, is deep fried in cooking oil. Just be careful in frying, the pot or pan should have a good cover otherwise the jumping oil may harm you. Harvest from the pan when the pork belly looks brown and if you can smell the aroma that means it is already cooked.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that. A pressure cooker would speed things up.

Surprised you haven't used your slow-cooker @winterybella. Its so easy!
I think when I got that many years ago, it might have been a wedding gift and if so that was more than 20 years ago. Oh my goodness!!! I just remember how I got that. It was a gift from my brother who used to live in England. Yes. At that time we Bajans probably did not pay much attention to them. I feel sure that like so many things that just got stuck away in a cupboard. I will see if it can be found. I think my house needs a major shake up finding those things that were 'lost' so to speak. I know it looks nothing like the fancy ones they have now. It had a print on it. I will have to find it.

Sadly not. But you could could it even slower in a low low oven for 6 or even 8 hrs whilst you are out. Or failing that you can cook ahead of time and simply heat in oven when required. I do a Vietnamese pork belly recipe using a slow-cooker (crock pot). If you use that you can put it on in the morning and forget it until the evening.

What are the recipes?
I forgot about the name of the Japanese recipe it requires shaven dried fish not sure what name. That is the real reason why scrapped it. The Vietnamese recipe is from Thuy Pham Kelly. It is called Thit Kho Trong or pork and golden eggs. I love how she can shred the meat with her hands. It really looks yummy. I chose her recipe because all the ingredients are easy to find.

Back
Top Bottom