Is there an ingredient you have never used?

My plan is, the next time I go my local grocer, to gander through the fruit and veg and see what is readily available to me that I haven't ever had. That'll be a bit of fun.
It's that approach that has left we finding "new to us" veg such as choko and Choy sum...

(that is when I was last allowed into a supermarket!)

Since I don´t eat meat (unless it´s minced), that´s one category out the window.

Why only minced? You surprised me.

I´ve never used (or eaten) cardoons, yams,hominy grits or huckleberries. But not for want of trying:cool::cool:

Ditto with cardoons and I've been trying to obtain them for years. I know I would like them even though I've never had them. Yams are not much to write home about in my view.

polenta and/or semolina would be another. Easily available but I've never really used them much. I've even get 2 lots of polenta and another of semolina.

I've not used it until relatively recently. I think I once ordered it in a restaurant and found it bland so it put me off bothering. However, I've a couple of recipes now on the forum, I think. Its all about adding flavour to it really. On its own its not very interesting (in my view).

You might like this one: Recipe - Sweet potato polenta with braised mushrooms & onions but you would need to substitute parmesan with a vegan version and the milk whey with an equivalent .

Fantastic - they are in my top favourite vegetables. What are you going to make?
I didn't end up using them today so will be tomorrow now. The lady from the farm where the veg box comes from recommended roasting with garlic. Have you any recommendations?

I must photograph my veg box next time as it really is impressive.

Yeah, huitlacoche.

In Canada Mexican food is not that popular generally speaking but my love for Mexican food goes back 35 yrs when I use to spend at least a month vacationing there.

I did order a can of huitacoche from my supplier, again simply because I regularly have something Mexican inspired on the menu or as a special. I opened it and tasted it, then tried to figure out if I wanted to use it or not and not because I didn't like it but because it tasted like nothing, nothing at all. I suspect the fresh specimen is where the fuss is and until I can get it fresh, I'll pass. So technically I've never used it.

I don't think anyone on Earth has ever cooked every possible ingredient, but one thing I'd really like to try is sour tamarind. I've only found the sweet kind.

I didn't end up using them today so will be tomorrow now. The lady from the farm where the veg box comes from recommended roasting with garlic. Have you any recommendations?

I must photograph my veg box next time as it really is impressive.

Yes - they are good roasted. They keep extremely well (I put them in the salad compartment in the fridge) so there is no rush. I have a few recipes on the forum somewhere. I'll do a search...

...here we go:
Jerusalem Artichoke and Mushroom Soup
Scallops with Jerusalem Artichoke Veloutée and Coffee, Black Cardamom and Walnut Crumb
Mushrooms, Artichokes and Balsamic Glazed Garlic on Spelt Pancakes

I don't think anyone on Earth has ever cooked every possible ingredient, but one thing I'd really like to try is sour tamarind. I've only found the sweet kind.
Get the raw tamarind and make your own. Generally it comes in blocks with seeds. It generally will appear like a brick. Add to hot water and allow to dissolve in the water then strain through a sieve pushing down on the pulp. It's sour by default.

Yeah, huitlacoche.

In Canada Mexican food is not that popular generally speaking but my love for Mexican food goes back 35 yrs when I use to spend at least a month vacationing there.

I did order a can of huitacoche from my supplier, again simply because I regularly have something Mexican inspired on the menu or as a special. I opened it and tasted it, then tried to figure out if I wanted to use it or not and not because I didn't like it but because it tasted like nothing, nothing at all. I suspect the fresh specimen is where the fuss is and until I can get it fresh, I'll pass. So technically I've never used it.
We've had fresh frozen and it was pretty much the same way.

If your grocery has a frozen latin section, it may be there. No seeds or fibers to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom