Is there an ingredient you have never used?

Le´ts veer it back on!
There´s something in Venezuela which we call "Ocumo Chino", but in English it´s Taro Root.malanga, colocasia. A friend in SE Venezuela sent me a photo of some yummy fritters she made with taro and saltfish. The good thing is, there´s so much starch in the vegetable, you don´t need to add any egg to bind!
Anyone used this?

Is it the same as eddoes? If so then yes I've used it and eaten it.

Err, that's not what I'm saying and i don't understand how you came to that conclusion either. I'm a Scot, married to an Englishman, taking out Australian citizenship, after his work offered to pay us to live and work in Australia 6 years ago. Until 5½yrs ago we lived and worked in the UK when not attempting to cycle settings the world.
I'm exactly what you're saying I don't want! :o_o:
Just to make sure, you do know I'm joking, right? Talking about spiders as being a reason NOT to visit Oz but then talking about spiders as an everyday occurrence...

I seriously doubt you can eat them, but some people eat scorpions (which we also have in parts of Texas). Insects overall are something I don't think I could eat. The thought of what I am eating would make me gag.

Look up "fried tarantulas" in Cambodia. Been there. Did NOT eat that -- talk about forbidden ingredients. Might be the perfect topic for this thread.

Mod.comment: posts have veered off topic. I'm not sure whether to start a creepy-crawly thread or not.
Well, ya'll were advertising for new topics/discussions...

Look up "fried tarantulas" in Cambodia. Been there. Did NOT eat that -- talk about forbidden ingredients. Might be the perfect topic for this thread.

Yeah - we had a thread about that sort of thing before and I think I may have posted this there - but hey, whatever you think of Gordon Ramsay, he is certainly up for it!

View: https://youtu.be/0B5GAlD9VUk

I´ve got a chef friend in Venezuela who cooks everything from the Amazon jungle. Including these:
1640216744605.png

Yeah - we had a thread about that sort of thing before and I think I may have posted this there - but hey, whatever you think of Gordon Ramsay, he is certainly up for it!

View: https://youtu.be/0B5GAlD9VUk
Lord, they really blew that out of proportion. If you go down any street in Phnom Penh, street vendors have piles of freshly fried spiders all ready to eat. It's not a rare or specialty. (lol)

Talking to the locals, the Cambodians started eating tarantulas during the Vietnam War when supplies were scarce and they developed a taste for them. From what they said -- for I was not having any -- they likened it to crab. I have a pic somewhere of a stall with those tasty Vietnamese sandwiches right next to one of the spider vendors. It was like Fear Factor next to Mc D's. :wink:

Speaking of ingredients I've never used, I have a Spherificaion Kit in my pantry that I bought from Modernist Pantry last year. Still haven't gotten around to spherifying anything. Anyone done it?

Heck. I know I can get them quite easily, year round. So I just added tomatillos to my list of things to buy.

I picked up 8 tomatillos whille at the market yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom