Is there an ingredient you have never used?

Kohlrabi. It was delivered in my veg box. I can't remember ever eating it before and certainly have not cooked it. I'm going to read up on it.
We just had some raw on a salad, and we have another one in the fridge. Makes good soup.

I have probably eaten something with a salsa verde containing them, but I have never used tomatillos in cooking, otherwise. For those not familiar, the tomatillo origated in what is now Mexico and is a green to green purple fruit, sometimes called a husk tomato, because of the leafy husk that grows down over the fruit. It is primarily found for most idiots like me, in salsa verdes (green salsas), but may be used in many different ways to add subtle sweetness and tartness to recipe items like salads, meats and so forth.

I suppose, that if I were to use tomatillo in cooking, I would have to first, bite into one raw, then perhaps, roast one and taste that. Once I got some idea what the basic flavor and texture is under those two conditions, I might get brave and start experimenting. The tomatillo would be a wonderful CookingBites Recipe Challenge ingredient, I think, except that I don't know what its global availability is.

Tomatillo Wiki

Last edited:
Kohlrabi. It was delivered in my veg box. I can't remember ever eating it before and certainly have not cooked it. I'm going to read up on it.

I love Kohlrabi! It's coming soon. I peel it and eat it, like celery sticks or carrots, but I also like it cubed and thrown in a tray with other veggies to be roasted.

Heck. I know I can get them quite easily, year round. So I just added tomatillos to my list of things to buy.

Man, you're living the dream! I haven't even seen a tomatillos in more than 20 years. :)

We're going to have to get you to look for some. That wiki article says that Australia is growing them. That's not too far from you, if you can get an order online.
Oz is half a planet away, my friend. :)

There are a couple of things I do miss that they just don't grow or import here: Parsnips, green tomatoes, and jicama. I love Mexican and South American cuisines but unless it's in Brazilian or Peruvian, you can't really find it here.

I suppose you might put "offal" into that category, MG. Lots of people, I imagine, have never eaten brains, heart, kidneys, sweatbreads, Rocky Mountain Oysters or chitterlings.
I have eaten it all when it was considered awful offal and very cheap. Can afford only for special occasions.
Dad would make a Debris - an offal stew. It contained everything karadekoolaid mentioned and liver and tongue.
Mom does not remember what happened to the enormous cast iron pot Dad used for his Debris. He would roll over in his grave if he knew how much the ingredients would cost today.

Jerusalem Artichokes. I've eaten but never cooked them. I had some in my veg box this week so will be trying them out today.
LOVE Jerusalem Artichokes (Sun Chokes). The skin is thin. A stiff brush does the trick. I like to use them in stews and braised meats. Beware - depending on your digestive system they can be gas bombs. Taking Gas X before eating helps.
The flavor is indescribably divine.

Tomatillos are in every supermarket. We love Salsa Verde. When fresh, green tomatoes are not available I can satisfy a winter craving for fried green tomatoes with fried tomatillos.
I just think I have used, eaten a broad range of food - meats, seafood, vegetables, fruits, herbs, spices, fungus, oats, rice, grains, on and on. There is always something new I want to try.
My ingredient bucket list is huge.

Tomatillos are in every supermarket. We love Salsa Verde. When fresh, green tomatoes are not available I can satisfy a winter craving for fried green tomatoes with fried tomatillos.
I just think I have used, eaten a broad range of food - meats, seafood, vegetables, fruits, herbs, spices, fungus, oats, rice, grains, on and on. There is always something new I want to try.
My ingredient bucket list is huge.

Your life is indeed, an adventure.

Back
Top Bottom