Is this fish still ok to eat

MrMajeika

Local time
8:04 PM
I bought a pack of two seabass fillets a couple of weeks ago that were reduced as they had that days use by date on. I froze straight away and I took out of the freezer last night and left in the fridge overnight to thaw for dinner tonight. Started thinking will it still be actually ok to eat as it had to be eaten same day of purchase and then I have left it in the fridge for another 24 hours although the fact that it was frozen probably makes it ok? I guess it would have taken at least several hours to thaw properly. Would probably have been best to cook and eat it when I bought it but I guess is still ok to eat now?

I think it will be fine. The use by date is always conservative and if you froze them straight away then thawing in the fridge for 24 hours will be OK.
Don't live and die by the use by date would be my advice. There's no real science behind it for supermarkets and it's generally based on how many days fresh proteins have been in the store. Some proteins are more perishable but generally you can tell by smell and touch. For fish if it smells of the sea your good for most species, and if you press and springs back well, then your probably good to go. Your nose knows is mostly what I rely on on whether I toss something or cook. Really fresh halibut always smells like I want to throw it out, weird lol, but it's fine, so there are exceptions. Cheers

Last edited:
Don't live and die by the use by date would be my advice. There's no real science behind it for supermarkets and it's generally based on how many days fresh proteins have been in the store. Some proteins are more perishable but generally you can tell by smell and touch. For fish if it smells of the sea your good for most species, and if you press and springs back well, then your probably good to go. Your nose knows is mostly what I rely on on whether I toss something or cook. Really fresh halibut always smells like I want to throw it out, weird lol, but it's fine, so there are exceptions. Cheers
Yes, I always go by smell upon purchase, which is why when I purchase from the grocery store, I usually choose what's in the glass case and ask the seafood employee to allow me to smell it, though usually I can tell by looking at it.
I bought a pack of two seabass fillets a couple of weeks ago that were reduced as they had that days use by date on. I froze straight away and I took out of the freezer last night and left in the fridge overnight to thaw for dinner tonight. Started thinking will it still be actually ok to eat as it had to be eaten same day of purchase and then I have left it in the fridge for another 24 hours although the fact that it was frozen probably makes it ok? I guess it would have taken at least several hours to thaw properly. Would probably have been best to cook and eat it when I bought it but I guess is still ok to eat now?
I think you will be fine, and if it's a little off, a bit of lemon juice could help correct it.

Back
Top Bottom