Italian cooking guide

Few thing when dry pasta,
Not over load rack air must circulate.
Put rack in front of window.
Rack I have similar this one. I have long pole from ceiling for sheet.
Sarana x

Ciao,
Tip to dry pasta # 2.
Dry rack can be expensive here 2 cheap way.
Put cup hooks in ceiling as many as need, then use wood coat hanger from each dry lot this way. Also can take down if no use. 10 hangers under £10.00.
Or use larger hooks in wall, use brush pole. My Nonna use second way she have six on wall in kitchen.

Sarana x

Saranak what's the different techniques for making different pastas ? Is it just a simple thing as different size/thickness or is it more than that? (Sorry if this is a simple questions but I really I'm very new to this journey!!)

Saranak what's the different techniques for making different pastas ? Is it just a simple thing as different size/thickness or is it more than that? (Sorry if this is a simple questions but I really I'm very new to this journey!!)
Ciao Popeye,
Home make pasta is more thick than shop. Important keep even thick.
Basic pasta dough all same but, you can use chestnut flour, walnut flour, even acorn flour. Add herbs even fine grate Parmesan.
OK so ribbon pasta you look for 2 mm thick most, also sheet for Ravioli, Tortellini etc. General thing 2 mm makes to dry faster. You can put natural food colours to water to make Tricalore pasta very pretty when make Lasagne. My favorite use Saffron in water make very pretty yellow aroma beautiful to.
To make say Bucatini or other hollow shape. I use thin wire that square shape, I roll dough with palms around wire then pull wire out, no use round wire it stick. Cannelloni use plastic tube 20 - 30 mm round, use little olive oil on tube, seal edges and let dry for some time, then pull of.
Like any thing Popeye easy when know how.

Sarana x

Last edited:
Well I have the Ragu bubbling away on the stove and just completed my first attempt at pasta.
A fair bit of inconsistency resul in terms of length and thickness but overall I think it's not too bad for a first attempt 5/10!! The proof is in the pudding though!!
Bravo Popeye,
It come with time, I make pasta since I 10 I now almost 60. Length no so important an if use straight away thick not so important as long no to thick. I like see picture!
Sarana x

Well I have the Ragu bubbling away on the stove and just completed my first attempt at pasta.
A fair bit of inconsistency resul in terms of length and thickness but overall I think it's not too bad for a first attempt 5/10!! The proof is in the pudding though!!
Fast question Popeye, how you make Ragu? No right or wrong I just curious.
Sarana x

Fast question Popeye, how you make Ragu? No right or wrong I just curious.
Sarana x

I just followed this recipe here Basic Ragù Bolognese Recipe
Start simple as they say!!

Was quite a learning curve with the pasta-I was surprised about how crucial it was too make sure that the pasta is kept as dry as possible for the process-and that the way you keep your workstation is important!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Was quite a learning curve with the pasta-I was surprised about how crucial it was too make sure that the pasta is kept as dry as possible for the process-and that the way you keep your workstation is important!!!
Bravo Popeye look good first try is impressive.

Si this important if to wet no good, this why I have big slab. I also have big Cucina, dry, dry dry.

Sarana x

View attachment 39061

View attachment 39062

This is very impressive for a first attempt. In fact its very impressive anyway. Did you roll and cut by hand or did you roll using a pasta machine and then cut by hand?

I note the use of the clothes airing stand to hang the pasta!

Back
Top Bottom