It's National Pot Pie Day in the U.S.

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:34 PM
What are your favorite pot pies? Mine is homemade chicken or turkey pot pie with carrots, onions, green peas or beans, and good gravy. Have to admit though, I'm also partial to beef chunks, mushrooms, carrots, potato chunks and onions.

Do you like top and bottom crusts, or just the top? I like either way. Not picky about the pastry.

What are your favorite pot pies? Mine is homemade chicken or turkey pot pie with carrots, onions, green peas or beans, and good gravy. Have to admit though, I'm also partial to beef chunks, mushrooms, carrots, potato chunks and onions.

Do you like top and bottom crusts, or just the top? I like either way. Not picky about the pastry.
I am same as you. Same with crust.

I love pot pies! Those little cheap Banquet or Swanson pies (which came in chicken, beef, or turkey) were a favorite of mine growing up, and they were dirt cheap, so Mom would sometimes buy me one, because she never made meat/savory pies at home, only fruit pies.

When we moved to the UK, that’s like an em-PIE-r of meat pies, and it was like I’d landed in pie heaven…so many kinds of meat pies, and some served hot, some room temp for picnics, some with whole eggs in them, just a master class in pie possibilities.

My favorite is probably some variation of steak and ale pie, though a chicken-leek-ham pie is good, too. I usually have one of each (at least) when we’re there.

Pies, for me, have to have a top crust. The crust is just as good as the filling. There’s a woman I watch on YT, she makes a lot of pies, and she makes the filling and bakes a sheet of puff pastry separately, then just puts the naked filling on the plate, and tosses a square of puff pastry on it then, and it makes me cry a little every time, because she seems like such a nice person otherwise, but that wouldn’t do it for me. :headshake:

I do make a tourtiere from time to time - way overdue for that.

My favorite would be chicken. I love pie crust, so make mine with a top and bottom crust, please. :hungry:

I've heard that KFC's pot pies are good, but I've never had one.

CD

My favorite would be chicken. I love pie crust, so make mine with a top and bottom crust, please. :hungry:

I've heard that KFC's pot pies are good, but I've never had one.

CD
KFC are good. Only top crust which is puff pastry.

IMG_5838.jpeg

Pies are popular here. Pastry top and bottom.

My fave in order: steak and shrooms, steak n cheese and mince and cheese.
Grandkids are pie experts. From butter chicken to steak bacon and cheese.
I have a pie rack for making my own pies 9 at a time. I need to make a batch.

Russ

$1.25 Banquet chicken pot pie, just about how I remember them from 45 years ago, including the inability to get them out of the container without tearing them to pieces. :laugh:

IMG_5847.jpeg

You can rip up the aluminum foil around the cake. Had to bake similar looking pre made apple pies and they constantly loose some pieces to the foil until somebody showed me that little trick

I thought that pot pies (an American term) meant a savoury (?) filling, often chicken it seems, with a pastry top. But pot pies with pastry on the base have been mentioned. Are they known as pot pies too?

In the UK a 'pot pie' isn't a term used. There are simply 'pies' which can have pastry tops only or pastry bases and tops. They can be sweet or savoury.

My favourite pie is steak and kidney. Preferably with a pastry top and bottom.

I thought that pot pies (an American term) meant a savoury (?) filling, often chicken it seems, with a pastry top. But pot pies with pastry on the base have been mentioned. Are they known as pot pies too?

In the UK a 'pot pie' isn't a term used. There are simply 'pies' which can have pastry tops only or pastry bases and tops. They can be sweet or savoury.

My favourite pie is steak and kidney. Preferably with a pastry top and bottom.

Yes, American pot pies are savory. They can be pastry top and bottom, or just top. Chicken pot pie is probably the most popular in the US.

A sweet pie is just called a "pie."

CD

No pies at all? What about pastry with fillings?
I just looked in the Bible of Venezuelan cooking, and it only lists 4 pies. Lemon meringue, apple, ricotta and a sort of hybrid called "Polvorosa de Pollo". That translates as " Crumbly Chicken Pie". There's pastry on the top and on the bottom, but the pastry is made with egg yolks and has sugar added to it. It's more like a crumble, in some ways. The filling is complicated to make because there are several steps, but it's really tasty. I'd imagine that the origin has a lot of Spanish influence, because there are olives, raisins,wine and capers in the mixture.
It's been a while since I made one, so let me see if I can conjure one up this week.

Back
Top Bottom