Its pie week!

Oh that is a fun coincidence, I just made my family recipe of apple crumble pie today. Does this fit the British concept of pie too? Or is pie only made with pastry in the UK?
FB_IMG_1678134262295.jpg

Recipe - Whole grain oatmeal apple pie (family recipe)

If pie is defined as something with a pastry crust, then my favorite British savory pies are chicken & leek pie and onion & potato pasty.

For sweet I prefer apple or cherry.

I don’t know, they’re all so good!

Whenever we’re there, my food choices usually involve a different pie every day. I suppose my favorites are steak and ale pie, and chicken, leek, and ham pie. I also like pork pies, but that’s a whole other category.

Probably my favorite non-UK pie is a tourtiere. I usually make one around Christmas/New Year’s, but have missed the last two years.

I usually cheat on the pastry and use Pillsbury refrigerated ready-made crusts. Even America’s Test Kitchen gives them a thumbs up, so if it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for me.

I do occasionally make my own, though, just to keep my hand in, and I use a basic food-processor pie crust.

I’m firmly in the camp that a proper pie has both bottom and top crusts.

Frozen supermarket pot pies were dirt cheap growing up, and I used to beg for those when I was a kid.

I love a good apple pie, but the discovery of Homity Pie a year or so ago really opened my eyes. Potatoes, leeks, cream, - what more could one wish for? Love the stuff:
Homity Pie.jpg

Yes - I know it´s not within the traditional scope of a pie, which, of course, should have a pastry lid on top. Still, I´ll manage!

Oh that is a fun coincidence, I just made my family recipe of apple crumble pie today. Does this fit the British concept of pie too? Or is pie only made with pastry in the UK?
You have indeed entered into enemy territory. :eek: :eek: :D:D:D
There are those who believe a pie is not a pie unless it has pastry on top, and on the bottom.
Others will cut off their fingers if a pie is not presented in an enamelled baking dish, with NO pastry on the bottom, but a thick crust on top.
And there are still others who believe a pie is like a quiche, but with no lid!!
And just to blow the lid off everything, A Shepherd´s pie, a Cottage pie, and my mum´s Cheese pie...
Not a scrap of pastry anywhere in sight!

This was a nice Coconut Crème Pie I did a couple years back. My personal favorite is Banana but this is a close second for sure:)

6F980D04-3C80-4C0D-A617-4CFA65911153.jpeg

Also since we are on the Pie subject - There is a place in Seattle, Wa called “The Pie Bar.” They make pie inspired cocktails but also bake fresh pies. They have a piping system that goes from the kitchen to the sidewalk outside, pumping the smell of fresh baked pies right in your path. Pretty brilliant way to get customers to come inside if you ask me. You can smell the pastry several blocks up and down the street.

I went there right before ll this fun COVID stuff started and got a slice of pie and a drink. It was fantastic!

Last edited:
I like good old fashioned apple pie, hot. I also like chocolate cream pie.

National pi(e) day is one week from now. 3/14 is the date (in US format). That's why it is not international pi(e) day -- most countries do dates wrong. :D

CD

I don't think its called a pie in the UK but its definitely a British favourite dessert.

When I have to choose only one, it would be a juicy vanilla sponge cake base 2-3 cm (0,7 to 1 inch) topped with seasonal fruits, clear cake glaze and a spoon freshly made whipped cream. Memories of my childhood made my decision.

Then there are tons of savoury and sweet pies I love and there's probably not one I would discard... if made properly

Back
Top Bottom