Its pie week!

I feel I am the only one but I don't like pie. I'm not a fan of pastries over all.

I like making them though. Lemon meringue is a family classic and one of the few recipes my mom could not screw up :D

I’m enjoying seeing the mix of sweet and savory here.

Personally, I’ll take a savory pie over a sweet/dessert pie 100 times out of 100.

My grandmother used to make chocolate cream meringue pie. She said she used the recipe off the Hershey's cocoa can, but the ones i and a cousin made never seemed to be as good as hers.

My grandmother used to make chocolate cream meringue pie. She said she used the recipe off the Hershey's cocoa can, but the ones i and a cousin made never seemed to be as good as hers.

There used to be a place in Caesar's Palace in Vegas that had a chocolate cream pie like that. I was in Vegas twice a year for two weeks at a time for business back in the 90s, and I would stay at Bally's, right across the street, and go there every night for that pie and a cup of coffee. That was my way of coping with two weeks in Vegas. :laugh:

CD

A steak, ale and stilton cheese pie named Moo-and-Blue has been crowned UK supreme champion at the British Pie Awards.
Leicestershire-based Brockleby's Pies ate up the competition from more than 900 other entries. Each pie was sampled by 150 judges in Britain's pork pie capital, Melton Mowbray, in Leicestershire. Brockleby's added the top prize to its collection of more than 30 awards won at the showcase event over the years.

Judges' eyes on the pies began on Wednesday as 908 bakers from pubs, restaurants and other establishments served up fillings ranging from Marmite-and-cheese, kebab and lasagne. Organisers said they noticed a trend for a variety of "fusion" pies at this year's competition - pies with fillings that, traditionally, would belong on a different type of menu.

British Pie Awards: 'Moo-and-Blue' pie crowned UK supreme champion.

I feel I am the only one but I don't like pie. I'm not a fan of pastries over all.

I like making them though. Lemon meringue is a family classic and one of the few recipes my mom could not screw up :D
I like pecan pie, but only when I make it or my cousins in Texas. It used to be my mom, aunts, and grandmas who made it but they are all gone now. I don't mind a little Dutch apple crumb pie about once a year, served hot with a huge dollop of ice cream. My kids all love banana cream pie so I will make it for them.

My mom made excellent pies as well and could pull off a holiday meal, but otherwise she just didn't care about cooking and it was quite evident. I grew up eating those awful grocery store frozen dinners, pot pies, and frozen pizzas. I did love her lemon meringue pies too, she was really good at baking pies, cookies, etc. I wonder if that's why we don't like sweets much?

I like pecan pie, but only when I make it or my cousins in Texas. It used to be my mom, aunts, and grandmas who made it but they are all gone now.

Did they make it with dark Karo syrup, eggs, sugar, butter, pecans, maybe vanilla? I can't remember the recipe for sure except for the first 5. I think though my grandmother and mother used Imperial margarine instead of butter. It's a really old recipe from Betty Crocker.

Last edited:
Did they make it with dark Karo syrup, eggs, sugar, butter, pecans, maybe vanilla? I can't remember the recipe for sure except for the first 5. I think though my grandmitger and mother used Imperial margarine instead of butter. It's a really old recipe from Betty Crocker.
Yes, the same way I make mine. Dark karo, lots of eggs, sugar (both brown and white), butter, pecans, and vanilla. Some people just top the pie with the pecans but in my family, we chop the pecans and mix it in the filling so it's mostly nuts instead of tooth-shatteringly sweeet, and then top the pie with pecan halves in a pattern. I usually make my own pie crust and they always use frozen ones and I generally add a shot of good bourbon to my filling, but otherwise it's the same.

Here's a couple I made a few years ago (frozen Marie Callendar's crust):
20211224_172621-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the same way I make mine. Dark karo, lots of eggs, butter, pecans, and vanilla. Some people just top the pie with the pecans but in my family, we chop the pecans and mix it in the filling so it's mostly nuts instead of tooth-shatteringly sweeet, and then top the pie with pecan halves in a pattern. I usually make my own pie crust and they always use frozen ones and I generally add a shot of good bourbon to my filling, but otherwise it's the same.

Here's a couple I made a few years ago (frozen Marie Callendar's crust):
View attachment 97122

We always used a largely rounded cup (I think, might have been more) of pecans, whole and pieces. My grandmother had a few pecan trees on the farm so we always got a bunch of pecans, though had to shell them. Nobody ever bothered to do the pretty arrangement on top. Family didn't care, they just wanted the pie.

Fruit/dessert pies, I don’t really care for, although there are exceptions, like banoffee pie, raisin pie, and oatmeal pie (which is kind of like a pecan pie filling with a toasted oats top).

Pecan pie - I prefer it with light Kayo syrup filling (I didn’t know that’s a controversial thing until I was in my 20’s), and I pick the nuts off and just eat the filling and pastry.

We always used a largely rounded cup (I think, might have been more) of pecans, whole and pieces. My grandmother had a few pecan trees on the farm so we always got a bunch of pecans, though had to shell them. Nobody ever bothered to do the pretty arrangement on top. Family didn't care, they just wanted the pie.
My Texas grandma (my dad's mom) sent my cousins, my brother, and I up the trees to shake the nuts out. They were old, tall trees. My mother had no idea, she would have been livid. Good thing we never fell.

My family didn't do the pretty arrangement either. That's my type A behavior showing. Well my mom was aesthetic in presentation, even when her food didn't taste great it always looked good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom