It's that time of year again: Christmas 2021

I have to admit I´m uncomfortable with "happy holidays". It smacks of woke culture.It´s Xmas - or when Christ was born. It doesn´t matter if you´re religious or christian or not, because you get to celebrate anyway. Christmas Day is a national holiday in many countries, so why to we have to dumb it down to "holidays"? Next thing they´ll make the nativity gender-neutral, Mary & Joseph will be "in a long-term relationship", the shepherds will have to be certified as over 21 to enjoy the cup of wine, the asses will become mules( because they can´t reproduce) and the 3 Kings will become the 3 Queens and there will have to be at least one who is transgender.
I just wonder how Hindus react to Diwali, practising Jews to Hannukah, Muslims to Eid, and the Bhuddists to Vesak when you say "happy holidays"? I´d be a bit miffed.

Are you from Dallas, perchance? :laugh:

"Happy Holidays" refers to Christmas and New years, as well as Hanukkah, for Jews. It was never intended to be an insult to Christians. Christians just seem to get insulted by trivial things on a regular basis. BTW, I felt exactly the same way when I was an elder in the Lutheran Church -- I regularly told my fellow believers to chill out about stuff like that. Don't take offense where none was intended.

I ussually say "Merry Christmas," but when I am greeting my friends who I know to be Jews, I say "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Holidays." BTW, none of my Jewish friends mind when people wish them a Merry Christmas. They are used to it.

CD

No, no - I´ve never considered "Happy holidays" to be an insult in any way and it doesn´t offend me at all; I just find it a bit trite and generalised. As you say, Happy Christmas to the christians, happy hannukah to the Jewish population, happy Diwali to my Indian friends.
Latin Americans will always say "Happy Xmas", because all the countries are catholic.
Don´t know if I can say the same for the UK - half of them don´t what they believe in anyway!

After a slow start, the decorations have left the garage...

Back
Top Bottom