Its that time of year again: Thanksgiving, USA

One or two things are certain. I absolutely will NOT be using a can of soup or a can of beans if I make green bean casserole. Nor will I put marshmallows on top of sweet potato:cool::cool:
I saute mushroons in butter, then make a lighter white/bechamel sauce using half milk and half chicken stock. The green beans are either fresh or frozen and steamed. I make the crispy onion strings too.

This week I will be making a Green Bean Casserole Makeover - no idea how it will turn out, but I am going to dehydrate my own onions, and add mushrooms to cream cheese for the sauce. And I just picked up fresh green beans. I may bring this along with the delicata squash dish to the local pot luck on Thursday (two separate dishes). I'd likely cook up the base and upend still-crispy onions atop.

The apple pie I made for "Friendsgiving" yesterday turned out pretty good for my first pie ever!
IMG_20211121_211708_954.jpg

A bit too tart though. I used granny smith apples and had used lemon juice to prevent them from going brown while I was prepping the other ingredients. That was a mistake. Next time, no lemon juice.

The apple pie I made for "Friendsgiving" yesterday turned out pretty good for my first pie ever!
View attachment 75771
A bit too tart though. I used granny smith apples and had used lemon juice to prevent them from going brown while I was prepping the other ingredients. That was a mistake. Next time, no lemon juice.
Looks fab!

View attachment 75771

If that's your first ever pie then I have to say 'why?' and also that you obviously have a good 'pie eye'.

Last edited:
If that's your first ever pie then I have to say 'why?' and also that you obviously have a good 'pie eye'.
My hostess yesterday requested I make a dessert, I just picked apple pie because I like it and the ingredients are easy to obtain.

In my family, my mom and her sisters are the chefs, but they all specialize in different dishes. My mom does not specialize in desserts, so I guess neither did I lol. I got several pointers from my aunt on this particular recipe though, and I will make another in the near future in an effort to improve. Practice makes perfect right?

My hostess yesterday requested I make a dessert, I just picked apple pie because I like it and the ingredients are easy to obtain.

In my family, my mom and her sisters are the chefs, but they all specialize in different dishes. My mom does not specialize in desserts, so I guess neither did I lol. I got several pointers from my aunt on this particular recipe though, and I will make another in the near future in an effort to improve. Practice makes perfect right?

Savoury pies are good too - lots of scope there. Did you make your own pastry?

My turkey is still frozen. Can I leave this in a cooler to thaw out rather than the fridge? The instructions say not to thaw out at room temperature, but I feel like an insulated cooler would work faster than fridge but safer than room temp.
🤷‍♂️

My turkey is still frozen. Can I leave this in a cooler to thaw out rather than the fridge? The instructions say not to thaw out at room temperature, but I feel like an insulated cooler would work faster than fridge but safer than room temp.
🤷‍♂️

Wow, you are way behind, unless that is a very small bird. You may have to thaw it in a water bath if you plan to cook it tomorrow. What size is it?

CD

Wow, you are way behind, unless that is a very small bird. You may have to thaw it in a water bath if you plan to cook it tomorrow. What size is it?

CD
I put it in the fridge yesterday. It is a 12lb turkey. Its actually a pre-cooked bird (not my first choice, but a gift from my job).
The inside of the cooler is holding steady at 55deg so maybe this will be safe?

Back
Top Bottom