Its that time of year again: Thanksgiving, USA

and watching (American) football on TV
Like this:

Thanksgiving here is a day for eating too much, drinking a lot of beer, and watching (American) football on TV -- and taking an after eating nap. Half of Americans have Friday off, too, and they can recover. :laugh:

CD
Hope your parents enjoyed the day.

Russ

Some great stuff going on here. I went out with my son at about 11.30 and the streets were empty. (Well it was raining here in Cinci).
He said folks generally start Thanksgiving around 1pm, have a few appetizers, drink some beer, watch the first football game, eat some more, maybe watch the second game, have some more beer, eat dinner, more beer, then maybe watch the third game. And have another beer.
Sounds like my kind of day.:cheers::cheers:

Thanksgiving here is a day for eating too much, drinking a lot of beer, and watching (American) football on TV -- and taking an after eating nap. Half of Americans have Friday off, too, and they can recover. :laugh:

CD
Turned out no beer (there was wine, though) and (happily) no football (or soccer). We did drop down to the garage where R. was renovating his new (to him) sailboat he and his wife plan to sail down to Florida as soon as he's done - in about 10 days he hopes. Definitely a very much older model, but he's done this sort of work often back when he actually lived in Florida.

There were 12 of us for the feast. The company was wonderful; the food less so. I wasn't even all that happy with my own root veggie contribution. And the dressing/stuffing was extremely sad. Like Tasty, I usually pile up on that!

But the cranberry sauce was home made, and one couple brought a vegetarian casserole featuring wild rice and chestnuts which was superb. I hesitated about trying the chestnuts as I've developed a truly awful sensitivity to many tree nuts - but figured since the site was only five minutes from home, I wasn't going to be stuck somewhere in-transit if something untoward happened - and chestnuts are one of those nuts I really DO like. This dish was the highlight.

As per usual, I didn't do any desserts, although perhaps I should have tried that apple pie.

But the main thing is getting together with good people! We did - 12 people and one mutt dog!

Weather was warm enough I didn't even bring a jacket. A good sweater was sufficient.

Someone sent me this, just for fun:
View attachment 76032
No, I haven't heard of Fred Harvey, myself - even if I've heard of Ford!

But I'd try everything on this menu except the candied sweet potatoes. Not sure what a Hawaiian Dream Sundae or a Hot Mince Pie is, so those would depend.

But I'd try everything on this menu except the candied sweet potatoes. Not sure what a Hawaiian Dream Sundae or a Hot Mince Pie is, so those would depend.
If I were ordering off that menu, I'd have (assuming I can have one of each course):

Mixed olives
Fruit supreme
Tomato soufflé
Prime rib
Sprouts
Baked potato
Romaine salad
Plum pudding w/ hard sauce

If I were ordering off that menu, I'd have (assuming I can have one of each course):

Mixed olives
Fruit supreme
Tomato soufflé
Prime rib
Sprouts
Baked potato
Romaine salad
Plum pudding w/ hard sauce
Of course, as you probably would guess, I'd be focusing in on the seafood items... :happy:

Back
Top Bottom