I've joined the BBQ world

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:56 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Well, I have finally joined the BBQ world when we were able to pick up this free BBQ at the weekend.

Why? Well one of the problems we have experience in our time in Australia is that it is simply too hot to cook indoors at certain times of the year. I took to cooking first thing in the morning and we ate whatever we had cold. But where we are, although it can be very hot in the daytime, by night it can actually be quite cold and something warm was nice. Or perhaps I wanted a hot chickpea burger with my salad, not a cold one cooked many hours earlier. So at the weekend, we happened to drop on an older couple downsizing and they were advertising their BBQ free on www.freecycle.org. It's a site I have used many times over the years, mostly to get rid of stuff when we have been leaving the country and we managed to pick up the odd item here and there when we arrived in Australia. Anything goes, pretty much, the only condition is that you must be giving it away free.

We were able to pick up an empty gas cylinder at the local tip also at the weekend, so we don't need to purchase the actual bottle either.
We do have a BBQ with a hood, that I may be able to move over into the frame, or maybe just the hood, but this one is in much better condition, so I might just accept that I won't use the oven concept of the other BBQ (which has no stand and I don't have a brick area to put it into to act as a stand). This is in pretty good condition, and should clean up really easily. It is to go in the back garden (most likely) where there is a dedicated concrete base for a BBQ (there was one in the past apparently), but I need to do some work in providing me with a little more shade there than there is currently.

Last edited:
Looks good! And, you can't beat the price. :wink:

Also looks like a grill. This is another of those "things have different meaning depending on where you go" kind of things. In Texas, BBQ requires smoke, made from burning wood. It is amazing how Mercans, Brits and Aussies speak the same language, and at the same time, we don't. :laugh:

BTW, does that truck (Ute?) in the background have a snorkel? What are roads like where you live??? :ohmy:

CD

BTW, does that truck (Ute?) in the background have a snorkel? What are roads like where you live???
yep - (It's also my vehicle) it has a raised air intake because its a Toyota Landcruiser, dedicated 4x4 which does get used off-road as well as on the gravel roads (or dirt roads) that we live on. (Here the gravel roads are not considered off-road if you get my drift (something you can rear end around certain corners not far from my home if you are not careful because of the build up of gravel on the outside of the bend)).

However, its primary use is simply to minimise the dust getting into the air filter nothing more because the exhaust is still at the normal height, so keeping water out is only achieved by slipping the clutch and keeping the engine revs high when crossing deeper water... but that would actually need it to rain, something we are severely lacking.

Where I live over 75% of all roads are dirt roads and not far from here, major roads (equivalent of A roads in the UK) are also dirt roads after a while. You get used to the 3 seconds warning that a little road sign gives as tarmac stops and gravel begins. You also learn to watch for certain signs that its about to become a gravel road, such as it suddenly getting very dusty or marks on the road (dust hangs in the air between the trees). We have a family rule that every time you hit a gravel road you put your lights on because you never know when you'll meet more than 1 vehicle and that 2nd vehicle which is travelling in the dust of the first won't see you the moment you enter the dust of the oncoming vehicle and they are often in the middle of the road which make life very dangerous. If you meet anything like a lorry, you just pull off the road instantly and stop. They don't pull over typically and the dust is so bad from them that you can't drive in it for a minute or two at least. You simply can't even see the end of your bonnet and I am not kidding. It is also a windows up policy the moment you see an oncoming vehicle for the same reasons.

And we live a long way down several dirt roads... The closest town is 16km away and town is a very loose sense, there are no supermarkets or food shops - the meat or veg wagons come around, but there is a rural supplies store and there are 2 petrol stations and vehicle workshop plus access to sealed roads!

yep - (It's also my vehicle) it has a raised air intake because its a Toyota Landcruiser, dedicated 4x4 which does get used off-road as well as on the gravel roads (or dirt roads) that we live on. (Here the gravel roads are not considered off-road if you get my drift (something you can rear end around certain corners not far from my home if you are not careful because of the build up of gravel on the outside of the bend)).

However, its primary use is simply to minimise the dust getting into the air filter nothing more because the exhaust is still at the normal height, so keeping water out is only achieved by slipping the clutch and keeping the engine revs high when crossing deeper water... but that would actually need it to rain, something we are severely lacking.

Where I live over 75% of all roads are dirt roads and not far from here, major roads (equivalent of A roads in the UK) are also dirt roads after a while. You get used to the 3 seconds warning that a little road sign gives as tarmac stops and gravel begins. You also learn to watch for certain signs that its about to become a gravel road, such as it suddenly getting very dusty or marks on the road (dust hangs in the air between the trees). We have a family rule that every time you hit a gravel road you put your lights on because you never know when you'll meet more than 1 vehicle and that 2nd vehicle which is travelling in the dust of the first won't see you the moment you enter the dust of the oncoming vehicle and they are often in the middle of the road which make life very dangerous. If you meet anything like a lorry, you just pull off the road instantly and stop. They don't pull over typically and the dust is so bad from them that you can't drive in it for a minute or two at least. You simply can't even see the end of your bonnet and I am not kidding. It is also a windows up policy the moment you see an oncoming vehicle for the same reasons.

And we live a long way down several dirt roads... The closest town is 16km away and town is a very loose sense, there are no supermarkets or food shops - the meat or veg wagons come around, but there is a rural supplies store and there are 2 petrol stations and vehicle workshop plus access to sealed roads!

Australia sounds like Oklahoma. :laugh:

Toyota Landcruisers in Merca are ultra-posh luxury SUVs -- A Toyota Sequoia for double the price ($45K vs $85K). A snorkel isn't even an option. But, you can get a Rear-seat DVD entertainment system with two individual 11.6-in. display screens for the kids.

Land Rover is bringing back the Defenders -- 90 and 110 models. I want one! Don't need one, just want one.

Below, me at the Land Rover Driving Experience (school) at the Biltmore Estate.

LandRoverMud.jpg

And me having a little fun with a Land Rover press vehicle. :whistling:

LandRoverOnRock.jpg

That was not photoshopped. I drove it onto that rock.

CD

Last edited:
Australia sounds like Oklahoma. :laugh:

Toyota Landcruisers in Merca are ultra-posh luxury SUVs -- A Toyota Sequoia for double the price ($45K vs $85K). A snorkel isn't even an option. But, you can get a Rear-seat DVD entertainment system with two individual 11.6-in. display screens for the kids.

Land Rover is bringing back the Defenders -- 90 and 110 models. I want one! Don't need one, just want one.

Below, me at the Land Rover Driving Experience (school) at the Biltmore Estate.

View attachment 32786

And me having a little fun with a Land Rover press vehicle. :whistling:

View attachment 32787

That was not photoshopped. I drove it onto that rock.

CD
yep - we see that and much much more.
Here the 80 series Landcruiser is the icon of the older models and is a true 4x4 not an SUV (or other vehicle is an SUV with full roo bars fitted for darn good reasons). It is the vehicle to drive across Australia (though you really do need to carry plenty of extra fuel!). Its the workhorse out here and as was stated to us, if we manage to get stuck in it, something has gone seriously wrong. If it's blowing a gale and throwing it down to the point of flooding, you know you'll be fine going out in it.

Mine came fitted as standard with jacked up suspension (air inflatable so you can easily adjust it), off-road tyres, 2nd fuel tank, 7 seats, CB radio, full roo bars, cruise control, roof rack, roof tent and so on. Yes it has air-con but you need $$$ to be able to run that. Personally I would just prefer the on/off switch for the extra lights across the width of the vehicle at the top, not to be behind the CB radio... there is another set of extra lights (about 1/3 of the vehicle) and spot lights that have a useful on/off switch but the main ones I use in the dark (in the summer it is totally dark by 8:30pm) are the double strip across the top - that bright the bonnet actually has a mat surface to it!

these are possibly not the best images of it, but its 21 years old... (we've since ditched the roof tent, I was struggling too much with it (I'm in a wheelchair, though obviously not all the time and not bound to it)

But I took the kitchen out of the boot, and the shower has also gone along with the 80L water tank that rand around the top of the roof rack. (I am not kidding here btw!). I've returned it to a workhorse rather than a camping vehicle but I've still got some re-wiring to do, (namely the on/off switch and all of the cabling to that top light), along with fitting a leisure battery and also fitting a separate water reservoir for the rear wash wipe which I have taken off the front wash wipe due to a severe lack of pressure in the system. There's a hole somewhere between the front and the rear and it is too darn difficult to locate and repair, so easier just to separate the two and work independently of each other.

Oooops, sorry. We motorheads (petrolheads) are easily distracted. :angelic:

BTW, my daily driver is a MINI CooperS. In Texas. Bet you didn't see that coming. :wink:

CD
Hubby has the Outlander but it's fitted with full roo bars which he had used. :( walked away totally uninjured, drove home (literally up the track from the dirt roads we live on). Roo bars were a write off, broken headlight and bent bonnet for the car. Fully grown adult male roo (6 for tall) killed outright (best that way than them suffering) 100-125m from our junction. he'd been on the brakes when the roo jumped into the roads from the passenger side. I heard it from the house. I knew it was our car from the, albeit distant, engine sound. They paid for themselves that day. We had them fitted, custom made, for the vehicle. Only 1 company makes them. Wouldn't be without them or the extra lights now...
Hubby gets the fully automatic vehicle... I cringe when he drives my manual. I have to remind him to change gear or use the clutch or... least said about it the better. I try to ensure I do the driving in my car. He forgets it has a clutch and 12 gears. Still not got my head around the need for 2 reverse gears though.

(Sorry morning glory)

Back
Top Bottom