I've never cooked a dish from....

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:56 AM
We are talking regions and/or countries. Noticing that some folk said they had never made a Moroccan dish before, I wondered what other gaps there are in member's culinary experience. Here are some of mine:

Japanese
Korean
Icelandic
Cuban
Peruvian
Georgian
African (of which there are many regions)

I'm sure there are more...

Last edited:
Ooh. Good thread. We used to host English language students when we lived in London and asked each student if they could teach me a dish from their home and I would cook/teach recipes from the UK.

Ooh. Good thread. We used to host English language students when we lived in London and asked each student if they could teach me a dish from their home and I would cook/teach recipes from the UK.
What a great idea. One of the reasons I posted the thread was to get a sense of the 'culinary gaps' in members' repertoires with a view to some sort of recipe exchange, mentoring. - just an idea in progress...

We are talking regions and/or countries. Noticing that some folk said they had never made a Moroccan dish before, I wondered what other gaps there are in member's culinary experience. Here are some of mine:

Japanese
Korean
Icelandic
Cuban
Peruvian
Georgian
African (of which there are many regions)

I'm sure there are more...

I've eaten dishes from a few of these countries but I've never cooked from any of them. Or at least I don't think I have LOL

I'm trying to persuade a Nigerian friend to teach me some traditional dishes. I think my main gap is food from Africa.

Vietnamese food I have not experimented with but love the food.

Anyone got any recipes they can recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two tried and tested Vietnamese recipes. One pork and one fish. Not sure where they came from but I tweaked them anyway. I think one appeared in an Australian food programme in Vietnam and was never given as a recipe - they showed a Vietnamese woman cooking it and I guessed at quantities. I'll need to type them up unless you want me to photograph my scribbled recipes- that would be easier!

WARNING: this is Engineering Brain, trying to answer the question, and over-complicating it as often happens in food preparation.

Oh boy...I think I'll need a globe to properly do this! I've made food from almost every continent, but I know that there are differences in cuisines. And, when you consider that there are a number of regional cuisines in the States, that makes things even more complex.

For example, I have made both Northern Italian and Southern Italian dishes, but I'm not sure how the Bordeaux region of France differs from the Savoy region (though I'm sure @Wandering Bob could answer that one!)

Or, what about Norway vs Sweden vs Finland? Cambodia vs Vietnam? Here's a partial answer: I did make steamed banana cakes (Vietnam).

I haven't made Peruvian food or Georgian food (unless you mean Georgia in the States). I have made North African food, but I'm not sure how well the rest of the continent is represented.

I seriously think I am going to have to get at least an image of the globe, and shade in countries where I've made food. This will give me an idea of where I need to explore.

I have no idea the country of origin of all the food i make...that giant melting pot of America kinda blurs the edges of what came from where. I know i've made recipes from Cuba, mexico, italy, Caribbean, greece, england, ireland, france, germany, spain, middle east( but not sure what country), china, japan, india, guam, and tibet...i have made an african dish or two but i have no idea what country. Other than that i have no idea

I've eaten thai and peruvian but i don't know if i have made anything specific to those country.

My brother lives in Guam. He likes to try new stuff and he brings new recipes when he comes for visits. It usually revolve around interesting marinades. Being veggie i like to try a vegetarian version of what he has made. So this particular marinade as i recall he called it a finadenne marinade called for loquats( or was it kumquats....which ever is the sour one...i always get my quats confused) and wasabi, onion, a bit of garlic, salt, and to marinade in the fridge so i tried it on soy crumbles instead of beef. I thought it was a little strong but likely the soy absorbed it differently than beef or fish....as he also said it was good for fish. He made a few others but don't recall much of them. I rememeber one involved the marinade actually chemically cooked the tilapia while it marinaded but other than being interested in the science it did not appeal to my explorations.

The tibet one gotta go back to college for this one. We had some visiting monks spend some time on campus making a sand mandala and the creation happened in the art building where i was a student so i got all excited about tibet for a short time. So i looked up a dish to try. I found one for a hot potato soup and since i like regular potato soup it seemed a good one to try and i did take liberties with it as i could not find some of the seasonings it called for. I remember it had potatos, spinach, ginger, chili powder, a chili sauce i could not find so i replaced it with texas pete hot sauce, onions, garlic, cilantro, milk, and cheese but it did not specify what kind so i used whatever i had which looking back likely chedder and monterey jack shreds...i might have missed a few things in my that my rememberer doesn't remember and don't remember amounts at all. It wasn't bad. I still occationally throw some spinach into a potato dish cause i liked the flavor combo. But if i made it today i would not of gone with texas pete and i really didn't like the ginger in it. I still have the ring i bought from them...they sold jewelry to raise money for monks back in tibet.

Back
Top Bottom