Jam/Chutney help please

RickDastardly

Local time
3:18 AM
Hi all, so I made some delicious Jams and Chutneys yesterday with my own grown chilli peppers, but I came down into the kitchen this morning and it smelt of garlic and eventually I managed to figure out one jar has an air gap on the lid and won't seal properly (Cheap Poundland crap I should have checked before hand) a lot of ingredients and effort went into making it and ideally I don't want to throw it away; so I'm just wondering when I'm back from work tonight can I reboil the jam and seal it into a new sterile container or is it spoiled?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I just want to give them out as Christmas gifts and don't want anyone getting ill. I'm thinking that it will be OK as it is such a short time, but I would like a second opinion.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks.

a lot of ingredients and effort went into making it and ideally I don't want to throw it away; so I'm just wondering when I'm back from work tonight can I reboil the jam and seal it into a new sterile container or is it spoiled?

Yes you absolutely can. It won't have had a chance to spoil if was only made a few days ago.

Would love to see your recipe for chilli jam/chutney.

Great thanks for the replies everyone, I have sorted them all out now and the lids are all nice and firm and don't dent in so they are all sterile and heat sealed properly. I put a small deli pot of jam in the fridge to test and it set really nicely overnight and everyone loves it. My house doesn't stink of garlic anymore so that's good :) .

Morning Glory Sticky Fingers, each of my batches are bound to come out a little differently as I use mixed/different chillies of different sizes and heat levels and I have to adjust accordingly to taste but I got my ideas for both recipes from these links below; I add/substitute the odd thing here and there.

I highly recommend giving them a go and try and get a nice variety of chillies as the amount of flavours going on at once is really nice, I use fresh chillies for both recipes but I'm sure dry will work ok if you don't have access to that many fresh ones but in my opinion fresh is best!

My homegrown chillies include Hot Havana Gold, Jalapeno, Hungarian Hot Wax, Turkish Pickling Peppers, Lombardo Pepperoncini and i also have some tasty red long chillies from my local fruit and veg stall. All my homegrown ones are at different stages of colour and ripeness.

Sweet chilli jam recipe - BBC Good Food

Chilli Garlic Chutney Recipe: How to Make Chilli Garlic Chutney Recipe | Homemade Chilli Garlic Chutney Recipe - this recipe I recommend quadrupling because it doesn't make much.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi all, so I made some delicious Jams and Chutneys yesterday with my own grown chilli peppers, but I came down into the kitchen this morning and it smelt of garlic and eventually I managed to figure out one jar has an air gap on the lid and won't seal properly (Cheap Poundland crap I should have checked before hand) a lot of ingredients and effort went into making it and ideally I don't want to throw it away; so I'm just wondering when I'm back from work tonight can I reboil the jam and seal it into a new sterile container or is it spoiled?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I just want to give them out as Christmas gifts and don't want anyone getting ill. I'm thinking that it will be OK as it is such a short time, but I would like a second opinion.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks.
Thank you for bring back wonderful memories of my school days. We had a formal christmas lunch. Because a few of us had been naughty, we were sentenced to clean and decorate the staff dinning room. This punishment was instead of watching Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis in the Vikings. We took some phenolphthalein from the lab and mixed it in with their condiments. Everyone thought it was food poisoning.
Phenolphthalein is an organic compound used as a laboratory reagent and pH indicator. Phenolphthalein exerts laxative effects by stimulating the intestinal mucosa and constricting smooth muscles.

Great thanks for the replies everyone, I have sorted them all out now and the lids are all nice and firm and don't dent in so they are all sterile and heat sealed properly. I put a small deli pot of jam in the fridge to test and it set really nicely overnight and everyone loves it. My house doesn't stink of garlic anymore so that's good :) .

Morning Glory Sticky Fingers, each of my batches are bound to come out a little differently as I use mixed/different chillies of different sizes and heat levels and I have to adjust accordingly to taste but I got my ideas for both recipes from these links below; I add/substitute the odd thing here and there.

I highly recommend giving them a go and try and get a nice variety of chillies as the amount of flavours going on at once is really nice, I use fresh chillies for both recipes but I'm sure dry will work ok if you don't have access to that many fresh ones but in my opinion fresh is best!

My homegrown chillies include Hot Havana Gold, Jalapeno, Hungarian Hot Wax, Turkish Pickling Peppers, Lombardo Pepperoncini and i also have some tasty red long chillies from my local fruit and veg stall. All my homegrown ones are at different stages of colour and ripeness.

Sweet chilli jam recipe - BBC Good Food

Chilli Garlic Chutney Recipe: How to Make Chilli Garlic Chutney Recipe | Homemade Chilli Garlic Chutney Recipe - this recipe I recommend quadrupling because it doesn't make much.

Cheers!

Sorry I forgot to mention that with the Chilli Garlic Chutney recipe I kept one jar fresh in the fridge and I put the rest in a saucepan afterwards with approx 100ml of red wine vinegar, and simmered it back down into a smooth thick paste and adjusted the taste slightly so I could store the rest in a couple more jars for a longer shelf life. That part was important :D.

Last edited:
Thank you for bring back wonderful memories of my school days. We had a formal christmas lunch. Because a few of us had been naughty, we were sentenced to clean and decorate the staff dinning room. This punishment was instead of watching Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis in the Vikings. We took some phenolphthalein from the lab and mixed it in with their condiments. Everyone thought it was food poisoning.
Phenolphthalein is an organic compound used as a laboratory reagent and pH indicator. Phenolphthalein exerts laxative effects by stimulating the intestinal mucosa and constricting smooth muscles.

Haha no way that's the best thing I've heard all day! I guess you naughty kids actually learnt something useful in school then and used it to get your revenge. :roflmao:

I'm very envious!

Sorry I forgot to mention that with the Chilli Garlic Chutney recipe I kept one jar fresh in the fridge and I put the rest in a saucepan afterwards with approx 100ml of red wine vinegar, and simmered it back down into a smooth thick paste and adjusted the taste slightly so I could store the rest in a couple more jars for a longer shelf life. That part was important :D.
I make my jams and chutneys in my bread maker. It makes sense to me to store the plentiful summer fruits in the freezer and use when necessary. Mango Chutney is impossible to find here. Recipe - Bread Machine Mango Chutney

Back
Top Bottom