Jams and Jellies With Reduced Sugar

billmarsano

Local time
5:53 AM
That's what I want--how to achieve them? Most jams are WAY too sweet for me; the sugar overpowers the fruit. Hw to thicken my fruit with less sugar--stir in corn starch? Some other thickener? Let me say I don't require a fully 'set' mix. A texture like ketchup would suffice. Also, don't want to use artificial sweeteners. What I seek is less sweetness overall. Anyone got any ideas?

Anyone got any ideas?
Here are some thoughts. My mum used to make jam with a ratio of 1:1 1lb sugar, 1 lb fruit. Too long ago to remember, but it was beet sugar, rather than cane sugar, which is not as sweet. When I started my conserves company in Caracas, we made 5 different jams and I scaled down the ratio to 80% sugar, 100% fruit. That worked and passed all theMin. Health requirements for conserves. Next move was using fructose, which is about twice as sweet as sugar, so half the amount : 40% fructose, 100% fruit. I liked that, but it was very expensive to make.
Fast forward to 2014 - I had a visit from Tate & Lyle, who make sucralose ("Splenda" in its commercial format). Could I make some conserves with sucralose, they said. Sucralose, incidentally, is 600 times sweeter than sugar. Made a couple of chutneys and a couple of jams. Total disaster, because the volume of the jam wasn't there and, to be honest, I had serious doubts about the preserving capacities of, for example, 1gm sucralose compared to 600 gms sugar.
The chutneys were passable, but sloppy, because the sugar cooks into a syrup, sucralose doesn't. The jam was awful - just fruit purée with sweetness, and almost liquid.
Tried with some of the other things (Aspartame, Stevia, Saccharin) and unfortunately, they leave a very distinctive, and often unpleasant aftertaste.
I think your best bet is fructose. Sure, it's more expensive than sugar, but since it's for family, not commercial use, you'll probably only need a few pounds of it.

Most jams are WAY too sweet for me; the sugar overpowers the fruit.

When I started my conserves company in Caracas, we made 5 different jams and I scaled down the ratio to 80% sugar,

You may find this interesting. Tiptree are regarded as top jam makers in the UK.

Tiptree Reduced Sugar Jams and Marmalades are free from artificial colours, flavours, and sweeteners. How do they taste? Well, there’s only one way to find out… Standard Tiptree Jam contains 67% sugar. Tiptree Reduced Sugar Jam contains 40%.
Reduced Sugar Jams

They are not adding any artificial sweeteners. Its interesting to note that their 'regular' jam is 67% sugar.

What ratio of sugar to fruit are you using billmarsano?

That's what I want--how to achieve them? Most jams are WAY too sweet for me; the sugar overpowers the fruit. Hw to thicken my fruit with less sugar--stir in corn starch? Some other thickener? Let me say I don't require a fully 'set' mix. A texture like ketchup would suffice. Also, don't want to use artificial sweeteners. What I seek is less sweetness overall. Anyone got any ideas?
Yeah, try using natural thickeners like cornstarch, pectin, or agar-agar. They can help give the jam the right consistency without needing to add too much sugar. Cornstarch gets mixed in while cooking - it helps thicken up the fruit syrup.

What about natural plant based sweeteners like stevia and monk fruit (the latter of which has some sugar but significantly less than cane sugar and the like)?

Pectin will gel the jam.

51udIC0QUXL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Pectin is another natural thickener you can add to jam or fruit sauce. It helps achieve the desired thickness while minimizing the amount of added sugar.

Back
Top Bottom