Jams, Jellies & Marmalade

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:20 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Precursor... UK terminology here for jellies (just in case it's different in USA)

What's the difference?
More accurately what's the difference between jam/jellies and marmalade?

Jam is boiled sweetened fruit thats typically set to some degree. It has recognisable fruit in it for want of a better way of putting it.
Jelly is a sieved version of the above, so minus the fruit bits such as raspberry seeds or blackberry seeds (and sometimes annoying centres). Handy for fruits with poisonous pips/stones such as elderberries.
Marmalade is ?

My thoughts...
I'm don't like (orange) marmalade (I hate glacé anything and fruit peel is very high on that list).

We sweeten porridge with jam rather than sugar and I still have this huge quantity of never ending lemons and couldn't help but wonder about lemon jam or jelly. Does it even exist? Have you tried any? Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe?

My mum used to name all three the han was BlackBerry and the jelly was BlackBerry and apple (we had lots if blackberries in the garden). I make chutneys and pickles as I don't have a sweet tooth so only get through one jar of jam a year even though I love homemade ham and jelly (i usually get given someone's home made jam each year)

Coincidently my wife arrived home from visiting a mate on Thursday with this:

Apparently it is "black banana jelly" which traditionally was wrapped in banana leaves. This was wrapped in plastic. The consistency was similar to soft liquorice but to me there was no hint of a banana taste.

We make pepper jelly every so often. It was Craig's brother's recipe. I have no idea whether he came up with it or found it someplace. It uses red bell peppers and jalapenos, sugar and Certo, which is a commercially prepared fruit pectin. One of the favorite ways to serve it is the jelly poured over a block of softened cream cheese with Ritz crackers. I've also used it as a glaze/sauce for shrimp, chicken and pork.

Back
Top Bottom