Jazzing up Your Holiday Leftovers? '2020

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
8:30 AM
You'll probably have a lot of leftovers from Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Year's. What will you do with all that food? Take it & turn it into something special? There are lots of ways to make the food from holiday meals look like something different, exciting & delectable. What will you see what you can do?

Last edited:
I traditionally take the turkey carcass and some turkey meat and make turkey and sausage gumbo. I won't be with the family for Thanksgiving this year, but they are going to freeze the carcass and some meat for me. I use the carcass to make the broth.

CD

Our son always gets me to make him two Sammies , pickled pork n Apple sauce, cold lamb and onion with my Mayo dressing. He's normally hungry by 9pm and eats them. We eat Xmas lunch around 1pm.
I look forward to Boxing Day and leftovers.

Russ

Shermie mate we used to do set piece xmas turkey lunch. We stuffed the neck end with a sausage meat stuffing. Mrs B is very skillful with a carving knife due to her training. She would deconstruct the whole bird and place on two big platter.One would be wrapped in silver paper(shiny side down) in the kitchen in case we ran out. Leaving the carcass with meat on it to dry out even covered is daft in our opinion. I would make ciabatta rolls the day before just for our favorite boxing day lunch. Turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce rolls. (I would wet the rolls and crisp up in the oven) the side was chopped roasties and veg fried in butter.
If we have boxing day guests then I would make this stunning french dish subbing cooked turkey.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itVXIOzNHp8&ab_channel=TheGourmetGrandad

Turkey carcass gets broken down and frozen for bone broth/stock for a multitude of purposes (probably mixed with chicken bones to make a poultry stock.

I make a casserole out of leftover dressing, broken up pieces of turkey meat, whatever veggies were served, and top with gravy and perhaps some melty cheese.

Some dark meat may end up in salads (I LOATHE cold breast meat - so dry!)

A combo of dark and white can be put on a slice of bread, topped with cheese, and toasted open faced.

Potatoes (which are either mashed or scalloped) can end up in the above casserole and/or can simply be re-heated as is.

Cats get the extra white meat. But there's only one cat left and her appetite isn't quite what it used to be. However - its a 5 pound turkey this year so not a real issue.

Back
Top Bottom