Jello Salads

That sounds seriously horrible.

I'm really hoping that this meant to be a sweet pudding and not a savoury salad course.

1. It was seriously horrible. MrsTasty tried it, then whispered in my ear, "If this is what the Hapsburgs were serving, no wonder someone shot Ferdinand!"

2. Yes, that would be a dessert. There are a lot of "Jello mixed with whipped cream/ice cream/sherbet" desserts, usually with fruit in them.

There are, unfortunately IMO, just as many mixed with mayo or cottage cheese, that may have fruit mixed in, or veg mixed in, or both. When I was a kid, it was always a good idea to be mindful when others were trying the green jello, just to gauge the reaction. Smiles, probably has ice cream and fruit in it; frowns, probably has onion and celery in it; look of utter confusion, probably has a bit of both. :)

As said elsewhere, jello salads are not really known in the UK so its fascinating. In the UK there are historic salads (often vegetables) in aspic which is a type of jelly. They were popular in Victorian Britain (possibly before) and I have some old recipe books with such 'savouries'. So - I'm wondering if that is the origin of the American Jello salad. Certainly the brass mould is familiar in terms of Victorian aspic jellies.

Same here, aspic is old-fashioned by now and honestly I don't miss it.
And by the way, it is also one of the things that I found most difficult to cook.

It was $&#%@ nasty! Bland gooey mouthfeel followed by ground beef pellets, like rat turds. Simply awful.
d67f2210180a5f4de76e3a8515139a5e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom