Juniper Berries - have you ever used them?

OK - it was the the fact that @buckytom said they were "pretty out there as far as an ingredient goes" that I thought they may be hard to find. Evidently not. :okay:
IIRC:@buckytom does not have a Walmart anywhere near him. I don't know if it's changed but Walmarts typically are not found in Union territory.

IIRC:@buckytom does not have a Walmart anywhere near him. I don't know if it's changed but Walmarts typically are not found in Union territory.
Don't they have everything in the Big Apple? :) Walmart was just a store I picked because I know of it so maybe other stores sell them.

Don't they have everything in the Big Apple? :) Walmart was just a store I picked because I know of it so maybe other stores sell them.
Yes, they have everything where @buckytom lives. The catch may be finding it because I think everything is so specialized up there.
I just looked. At our local grocery store, juniper berries are $8.18 for 1.3 oz. £6.45 for 37 grams

If I wanted to take the time, I could find bulk ones for $14.99 a pound, but they are more than 100 miles away.
£11.83 for 454 grams at more that 161 km away.
Trouble is, you would end up with more juniper berries than you could ever possibly need! They are very pungent and you only need a 3 or 4 in most recipes.

Trouble is, you would end up with more juniper berries than you could ever possibly need! They are very pungent and you only need a 3 or 4 in most recipes.
You can buy 3 or 4 or 300. Bulk here means get as much or as little as you need.
So that 1.3 oz would be right at $1.
Finally found them in bulk. They are 563 km away.

You can buy 3 or 4 or 300. Bulk here means get as much or as little as you need.
So that 1.3 oz would be right at $1.
Finally found them in bulk. They are 563 km away.
OK - that is something I really didn't know. Here it would mean - well, in a big bulk!

OK - that is something I really didn't know. Here it would mean - well, in a big bulk!
That would be Sam's Club. Here the word has two meanings. Depending on what is being sold.
Bulk toilet paper means many rolls. Bulk spices means get what you need out of the jar.

Yes, we do have Walmarts here. Way too many of them.

As far as juniper berries goes, I can go to a specialty shop for them, but again, in all of the restaurants that I've eaten in, and all of the cooking shows that I've watched, and all of the cookboks that I have, I've only seen it in a dish maybe two or three times.

It might be a little more common in a Scandinavian neighborhood in Brooklyn or the midwest, but it is still a fairly uncommon ingredient in the States.

Even in the recipes listed before, many of them weren't English, but rather from other countries around the world.

Not that it matters, though. I am interested if I can use the ones growing on the bushes in front of my house.

Last edited:

As far as juniper berries goes, I can go to a specialty shop for them, but again, in all of the restaurants that I've eaten in, and all of the cooking shows that I've watched, and all of the cookboks that I have, I've only seen it in a dish maybe two or three times.

It might be a little more common in a Scandinavian neighborhood in Brooklyn or the midwest, but it is still a fairly uncommon ingredient in the States.

Even in the recipes listed before, many of them weren't English, but rather from other countries around the world.
I think I have had juniper berries a time or two. Are they in sloe gin?

Not that it matters, though. I am interested if I can use the ones growing on the bushes in front of my house.[/QUOT

@morning glory, @buckytom

Juniper Berries are commonly used with Venison ..

And if you have a large central Market, they are easy to come by .. One can also purchase them dried too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom