Just what the heck is "normal" anyway?

NailBat

Local time
12:45 AM
Website
pantrymo.com
So right off the bat, no, there's no such thing as a single universal "normal". But every person who ever lived has their own "normal" when it comes to what they cook and eat.

But when you think about it, this "normal" is almost never shared outside the household. When you have dinner with a friend or relative, you aren't getting their "normal" cooking, you're getting their "we have guests over" cooking. The food that's constantly shared on social media isn't "normal" cooking, it's "look how impressive this is! Please like and subscribe" cooking.

"Normal" is like water to a fish or air to a bird. It's all around you, so you hardly even think about it. It's only when you come across what somebody ELSE thinks is normal that you even take notice. It's like if a fish just lived assuming everything was water, and then had a conversation with a bird who then started talking about gravity. Also, fish and birds can talk and have social media accounts, this is my post and I'll do what I want.

With cooking, there is this extremely annoying trend of people loudly proclaiming what is the "right" way to do things and then looking down at anyone who does it differently. That's because they've mistaken THEIR normal for a universal normal that doesn't exist. They're like fish who assume birds are living in water.

Take washing, or not washing, rice for example. Depending on where you live, this is a no-brainer. Of COURSE you (wash|don't wash) your rice! EVERYBODY (washes|doesn't wash) their rice! Why would you ever even consider doing it the other way? That's just WRONG! Then you learn there are people who do the opposite, and think its just a normal. If you dig into this a little more deeply you'll find that both washing and not washing have specific purposes. Washing rice will remove starch, which changes the texture. It may be necessary in order to clean the rice - but on the other hand there's also rice that specifically should NOT be washed because doing so would wash away all the nutrients. There is no such thing as "normal" rice, just lots and lots of unique rices that all demand to be handled in their own way.

Without wishing to be flippant, I'd say I'm not normal. There are very few things I consider to be normal in my world :ohmy: but I do understand that things like 'washing rice' can be normal to one person/culture and not another. I've washed and not washed rice. Does it make a difference? It probably depends on the type of rice and how you want the end result to be, but generally I don't bother these days.

Things like washing chicken are another matter. That is a serious health and safety issue.

I believe there's a"normal" area in the culinary world, you basically said it, it's normal food when it's considered normal. Psychotherapist know what's going on in our brain, when we consider something as not normal, when it comes to food, there might be certain variables that'll let you believe that food is not normal anymore, in all kind of scales, from regional to world wide. Maybe it was one coffee to much for you today, or somebody stressed you in the traffic, please don't see this as hate, I'm not a psychologist, but the brain is really something interesting and everything is working together.

And I'm not sure about that trend of mocking other people, but it's not just in the kitchen. May the love be with you

Without wishing to be flippant, I'd say I'm not normal. There are very few things I consider to be normal in my world :ohmy: but I do understand that things like 'washing rice' can be normal to one person/culture and not another. I've washed and not washed rice. Does it make a difference? It probably depends on the type of rice and how you want the end result to be, but generally I don't bother these days.

Things like washing chicken are another matter. That is a serious health and safety issue.

Hmmm. I am told that washing chicken spreads germs here in the USA.

I have harvested some of my own chickens, and I tell you those I bring in after harvesting NEED washing.

It is all in how you clean up after you do the task.

Hmmm. I am told that washing chicken spreads germs here in the USA.

I have harvested some of my own chickens, and I tell you those I bring in after harvesting NEED washing.

It is all in how you clean up after you do the task.

Yes, I understand if home killed that you night need to do that - but the danger is throughout the process and not just to do with cleaning up, I think. We are off topic. My fault!

Sure, this is evident in almost every aspect of cooking. Go look at the coffee/tea topic that's going on right now, or discuss mushroom washing/not washing, and we just had a mini-conversation about sugar in tomato sauce.

You're either a saint or a sinner, regardless, so do what works for you. Fly that freak flag! :laugh:

you come to my house, you get my normal cooking.
you may get an upscale dish, but cooked in my normal fashion.

what you do get is a nicer table.
our normal-just-us-chickens plates are served from the pot/pan on the kitchen island . . .

Cream over jam or vice versa.????

My daughter taught me to wet rice, leave 30 mins re rinse 4 times.
It is always fluffy

Russ

Cream over jam or vice versa.????

You are talking scones in the British 'cream tea', which doesn't mean cream in the tea. It means jam and cream on scones. There are many debates about which comes first (the jam or the cream). It depends if you come from (or follow) Devon or Cornwall which goes first and last.

But apparently the queen has decided:

Queen settles debate on whether jam or cream goes first on scone

You are talking scones in the British 'cream tea', which doesn't mean cream in the tea. It means jam and cream on scones. There are many debates about which comes first (the jam or the cream). It depends if you come from (or follow) Devon or Cornwall which goes first and last.

View attachment 75643

My roots are in Cornwall, so I'm aware of the jam debate. My wife had a scone for supper last night, as the queen described as well.
A cheese scone I made a day earlier.
She said it was 10/10.

Russ

View attachment 75643

My butcher friend will be here soon so I will get a pic for you. I saved him 2 scones.

Russ

(...)
Here are my two cents, in germany we have a very similar debate. In some regions the people like to spread quark and jam, preferable strawberry, on their toast, which one comes first is important for some people and they wouldn't eat their toast, if you've served it the wrong way. The taste is like unsalted cottage cheese or ricotta plus jam, for those who've never eaten quark.

Back
Top Bottom