Just what the heck is "normal" anyway?

Here are my two cents, in germany we have a very similar debate. In some regions the people like to spread quark and jam, preferable strawberry, on their toast, which one comes first is important for some people and they wouldn't eat their toast, if you've served it the wrong way. The taste is like unsalted cottage cheese or ricotta plus jam, for those who've never eaten quark.

That sounds rather good. I've often used quark in the past but I've not seen it recently...

I love how some people are ready to take up arms over what order to put jam on things, while it previously never even occurred to me that anyone should care. It's just further proof that there's just no such thing as "normal" and people should just calm the F down about how everyone enjoys their food.

I love how some people are ready to take up arms over what order to put jam on things, while it previously never even occurred to me that anyone should care. It's just further proof that there's just no such thing as "normal" and people should just calm the F down about how everyone enjoys their food.

I was just musing over the recurring posts about "Building a Burger."

What´s normal? I suppose you might also consider what´s abnormal.
I suppose "normal" is what you and most of your friends/family do, whereas abnormal is any deviation from the mean.
When I was a kid there was an "abnormal" family at the end of the street, whose mum meticulously planned every single meal for the following week and posted them on the fridge.
Her kids would come knocking on the door asking my mum if they could come for dinner, any day they didn´t like the menu.:hyper::hyper:
Or the first time a Palestinian friend invited me to breakfast. I´d always had cereals, granola, or a fried breakfast. Imagine my reaction when faced with hummus, flatbreads, yoghurt and za´atar. Normal for me was simply ignorance of other cultures.

I love how some people are ready to take up arms over what order to put jam on things, while it previously never even occurred to me
Absolutely agree. The future of the universe is not going to be decided by some pedant who insists on spreading the jam first, or some twerp who swears that his Italian nonna called her tomato sauce " Gravy" and not "marinara". As you say, who cares and what does it matter?
Mind you , those insane Brits that put VINEGAR on their chips?? I mean, for God´s sake!! Are they out OF THEIR FRIKKIN MINDS?? WHAT ON EARTH ARE THEY THINKING OF??
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::eek:

You are talking scones in the British 'cream tea', which doesn't mean cream in the tea. It means jam and cream on scones. There are many debates about which comes first (the jam or the cream). It depends if you come from (or follow) Devon or Cornwall which goes first and last.

But apparently the queen has decided:

View attachment 75643

Queen settles debate on whether jam or cream goes first on scone
And of course, if you aren't a sweet tooth, you'll leave the jam off entirely!!!

Absolutely agree. The future of the universe is not going to be decided by some pedant who insists on spreading the jam first, or some twerp who swears that his Italian nonna called her tomato sauce " Gravy" and not "marinara". As you say, who cares and what does it matter?
Mind you , those insane Brits that put VINEGAR on their chips?? I mean, for God´s sake!! Are they out OF THEIR FRIKKIN MINDS?? WHAT ON EARTH ARE THEY THINKING OF??
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::eek:
Hey! I'm not a Brit, and I discovered that malt vinegar IS good on steak fries. Still prefer salt, but on the larger fries the taters stay solid...

I was born in the US south, and I intensely dislike sweet tea. So did my parents, who moved out when they were about 30 or so years old.

What´s normal? I suppose you might also consider what´s abnormal.
I suppose "normal" is what you and most of your friends/family do, whereas abnormal is any deviation from the mean.
When I was a kid there was an "abnormal" family at the end of the street, whose mum meticulously planned every single meal for the following week and posted them on the fridge.
Her kids would come knocking on the door asking my mum if they could come for dinner, any day they didn´t like the menu.:hyper::hyper:
Or the first time a Palestinian friend invited me to breakfast. I´d always had cereals, granola, or a fried breakfast. Imagine my reaction when faced with hummus, flatbreads, yoghurt and za´atar. Normal for me was simply ignorance of other cultures.

I grew up with "normal" being beef tongue, sweetbreads, and chicken hearts.

Later, I learned "better".

And breakfast today - I'm working through two country style ribs served on a bed of onion and bell peppers, cooked along with. And drizzled with Oyster sauce, a bit of Chinese dumpling sauce, ground pepper and garlic powder.

Back
Top Bottom