Recipe Kimchi With Red Cabbage and Brussels Sprouts

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
11:55 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Well now, this is a shock. I can't believe I've been on this board for nearly 4 months, and I didn't post a kimchi recipe. Kimchi is something I don't make often, but that's only because I make such a massive amount every time. I use it on and in so many things, and I tend to have some on hand at any given time. I'm posting it now because I ran out last night. I would have preferred to make it with diakon radish, but since I didn't have any, I made it like this.

Two things that I have in my kimchi that I rarely see, but I think are essential:
  • Anchovies - the umami is unmistakable, and I can't imagine making a kimchi without it.
  • Brussels sprouts - because they align well with the cabbage (I don't think I've seen this anywhere else, so maybe I invented it??)
The one I made last night used 2 chopped Calabrian chili peppers instead of the pepper flakes. And, I threw in a teaspoon of mala sauce. But, I'll happily make the following as-is if I don't have those on hand.

24k66xPjR0yEcLKdndQ5_IMG_0635.jpg

Ingredients

1⁄2 red cabbage, shredded
8 Brussels sprouts, sliced thinly
2 ounces carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
2 ounces gingerroot, peeled and grated
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 ounce green onion
5 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or Korean chili flakes)
3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
1 ounce fish sauce
2 ounces rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar

Directions
  1. Using a mandoline, slice Brussels Sprouts and carrots, using a cut-proof glove for safety.
  2. Dissolve salt in a large bowl with 5 cups of warm water. Add cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, carrots, and green onion to the bowl and soak for 1 hour.
  3. While the vegetables are soaking, prepare the chili paste. In a large bowl, stir together 1/4 cup water, rice vinegar, fish sauce, and sugar. Add chili flakes, ginger, garlic, and anchovies and blend thoroughly.
  4. Drain vegetables using a sieve set over a bowl, reserving brined juices.
  5. Add drained vegetables to the bowl with the chili paste and mix well to coat. Pack into glass jars (an old pickle jar works perfectly for this).
  6. Pour some of the reserved brine into the bowl with the chili paste residue. Mix to capture leftover seasonings, and pour chili-brine into the jar. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight. Refrigerate and eat within 1 week.

I've never tried making kimchi and only recently tasted it (its not so easy to get kimchi here). My understanding is that kimchi needs to be fermented for many weeks - is a week enough I wonder?

I've never tried making kimchi and only recently tasted it (its not so easy to get kimchi here). My understanding is that kimchi needs to be fermented for many weeks - is a week enough I wonder?
Fermenting does indeed involve putting the jar out to ferment. I know of some really traditional methods involving burying the jars in the back yard somewhere, and unearthing them at some interval that the family has used for generations. I've seen everywhere from overnight (which I indicate) to weeks for this part of the process.

But, refrigerating it doesn't stop the fermentation...it just slows it down. You'll have tremendous flavor immediately, but it will deepen with time. hmm...maybe I'll experiment with leaving it out for a while and see what happens.

Last edited:
I will be in the right place to source a daikon next weekend and Korean chilli flakes.

@The Late Night Gourmet you now suggest leaving this out for a week before refrigerating? Lid on loosely or cover with a cloth?
Leave the lid on, sealed, with the jar out of direct sunlight. After two days or so, you should start to see bubbles forming. This is evidence of the fermentation process, but don’t worry if you don’t see too many. Also, if you’re tempted to try some before the end of the week, go ahead. It won’t hurt anything: just reseal the jar and place out of direct sunlight again.

Also, feel free to be creative with your ingredients: I do believe the radish is important, but anything other vegetable that’s crunchy can potential he go in there.

The tv episode was in Korea and it was stored away under ground. I never saw it on a menu when I was in Korea. I'm still waiting on trying this. My friend makes pickled cabbage which I think is close????

Russ

The tv episode was in Korea and it was stored away under ground. I never saw it on a menu when I was in Korea. I'm still waiting on trying this. My friend makes pickled cabbage which I think is close????

Russ
I imagine that a pickled cabbage is similar, since cabbage is a common kimchi ingredient. And, about the tradition of burying the jar underground: I've thought of doing that, but it seems like a lot of extra work for what feels more like ceremony than anything else. On the other hand, I might want to try it sometime to see what would happen, since I would probably forget about it. This will have to wait for warmer weather in any case.

Back
Top Bottom