The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
1:44 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
c923659f-11bc-4bff-a1c1-a865ce9f3d79-jpeg.jpg

This came together the way I usually make chili, but I had some decisions to make along the way to keep my vision clear. I decided not to include the two ingredients I feel define a chili: chili powder and cumin. The chili powder felt like it would be redundant (and unnoticed) in the face of all the other flavors, and i felt that cumin might clash with the other flavors. Tomato is served like a fruit in Korea, and I felt thus would stand up quite well without it (those are Fresno peppers, not tomatoes, in the chili).

As a note, this ended up being very spicy, which was an accumulation of the peppers, kimchi, pickled ginger, and gochujang. I made the kimchi and pickled the ginger myself, but store-bought would also work (though likely not be as spicy).

The cabbage surprised me the most. I was hoping that cooking it in the oil and grease would soften it, but I also thought I might have something that resembled a gumbo. I almost didn't include it, because I wanted it to look like a chili. Instead, the cabbage took on the colors of what was in the pot.

Finally, fava beans aren't particularly Korean, but I wanted something I wouldn't normally use in a chili. I love the name (foul), which appears as "ful" when you look it up.

Ingredients

2 slices bacon, chopped
1 tablespoon bacon grease
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
2 Fresno peppers, diced
5 garlic cloves, diced
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 cups napa cabbage, shredded
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 cups turkey stock
31 ounces fava beans
2 tablespoons gochujang
1 cup kimchi
3 tablespoons pickled ginger, chopped
1⁄4 cup oyster sauce
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce, adjusted to taste
4 scallion, sliced thinly

Directions

1. Add bacon to a large pot and cook on medium heat until the grease is rendered. Add extra bacon grease (or an extra slice or two of bacon if you prefer).

2. Add onion to the pot and stir to coat. Cook until pieces become translucent, stirring occasionally. Add pepper pieces, stirring to coat, and cook for another few minutes. Add garlic pieces, stirring frequently for another minute.

3. Add sesame oil and cabbage pieces. Stir thoroughly to coat, and cook until wilted, stirring occasionally.

4. Add mushroom pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until they're softened.

4. Add beans (and any juices in the can) along with gochujang and stock to the pot and stir in thoroughly. Cook with cover off for about 20 minutes or until the contents are thickened.

5. Add kimchi and chopped ginger and stir to distribute evenly.

6. Add oyster sauce and soy sauce as needed to achieve the desired taste. Continue heating until thickened further if desired.

7. Garnish with scallions and serve.

Back
Top Bottom