Kippers

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:22 AM
Kippers rank in my top three or four fishy things and these were stunningly good. They're whole split, gutted, steeped in brine & smoked herrings. There is a long history of herring smoke houses in fishing ports all over the UK. This one came from Cornwall. They need very little cooking: poach, grill or microwave for a few minutes. I used the microwave and served with parsley butter:

1590062563507.png

Herring Smoke-house Lowestoft

No, thank you, I'll pass. :)

The first time I ever saw someone eating kippers in-person was in Edinburgh, at a B&B, in 1993. I was simultaneously fascinated and disgusted. :laugh:

My experience with fish up to that point was that it wasn't a breakfast food, and that fish was meant to be cut up, battered, and deep-fried (at least in part to hide what it was :laugh:.

It was the first time I'd ever seen someone eat a fish that still looked like a fish, just laid out on a plate, as in, "Look, there's the tail, and that looks like a fin, and OMG, there's the <bleeping> head! On his plate! Does he not see that that?!" :laugh:

I love the taste of them, and have them for breakfast quite often. Well, as often as it takes to forget how many bones they have in them. Otherwise, smoked mackerel is a good alternative with much fewer bones.

I has Arbroath smokies in Arbroath 20 years ago, bills Connolly mentioned it before I'd heard of it. So I pulled in and bought some. They were hanging exactly as morning glory posted. They were very good, eating on the side of the road.

Russ

Love skippers. I get Manx if there is a choice as an honour to my husband's grandfather who was Manx. I really should do a taste text and see which are best. At a push well have the shrink wrapped or tinned, but best from the fishmonger.
Manx are the best, they are smaller and sweeter than the other inferior types. I grill them on the bbq outside because my wife hates the smell. Splash malt vinegar on them, a beautiful breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom