Knives & forks

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:58 PM
My partner always eats dinner with a fork in his right hand (no knife). If something needs cutting up he will put the knife in his right hand, fork in the other to cut it and then put the knife down and eat the food with the fork in his right hand. If at all possible he uses the side of the fork (in his right hand) to cut up the food, rather than a knife. It irritates mebecause it means he takes a long time to eat, often trying to cut difficult things with the fork.

How do you and people you know use knives and forks?

I am left-handed, so this might not help you, but I eat with a fork in my left hand and when I need to cut something, I put the fork in my right hand and cut with the knife in my left hand. I just tried it with the knife in my right hand and it just does not feel comfortable and I can't cut as well.

I switch hands too, but if something doesn't cut easily on the first try with the side of the fork I use the knife.

I am left-handed, so this might not help you, but I eat with a fork in my left hand and when I need to cut something, I put the fork in my right hand and cut with the knife in my left hand. I just tried it with the knife in my right hand and it just does not feel comfortable and I can't cut as well.

I wasn't looking for help - its just a discussion thread. My youngest son is left handed and does the same as you.

I suppose I was also talking about mainly eating with a fork (knife only used to cut when really needed). So eating whole meals with a fork.

My partner always eats dinner with a fork in his right hand (no knife). If something needs cutting up he will put the knife in his right hand, fork in the other to cut it and then put the knife down and eat the food with the fork in his right hand. If at all possible he uses the side of the fork (in his right hand) to cut up the food, rather than a knife. It irritates mebecause it means he takes a long time to eat, often trying to cut difficult things with the fork.

How do you and people you know use knives and forks?

LOL. I do the exact same thing. No particular reason, other than I am right handed. I've just always done that. I've thought about it a few times, and even tried changing that habit, but when you eat a certain way for 58 years, you are not likely to change how you do it. It is like trying to change the way you breathe.

CD

For whatever reason, I eat in what some label the European manner - fork in my left hand, turned over, and I use that to steady my food while I cut it with my knife, which is in my right hand. Then I generally push food onto my fork and the food-laden fork then makes its happy journey to my mouth.

Everyone in my family, and just about everyone I know, eats in what some label the American style - fork in the right hand, right side up, and food sort of scooped onto the fork and then into the mouth in one fluid motion. If they need to cut anything, it's either with the side of the fork if it's possible (like when eating a fried egg) or switching hands with the utensils and then steadying the food with the fork while cutting with the knife, then back again to eat.

I suppose a good way to say it is that some are somewhat more ambidextrous while eating, while others will favor their dominate hand.

I don't get too worked up over knife and fork skills, but I will absolutely side-eye someone who holds a spoon overhand, like they're brandishing a club. :laugh:

I eat in what some label the European manner - fork in my left hand, turned over, and I use that to steady my food while I cut it with my knife, which is in my right hand. Then I generally push food onto my fork and the food-laden fork then makes its happy journey to my mouth.

I also eat that way. I thought that was how one was supposed to eat!

Everyone in my family, and just about everyone I know, eats in what some label the American style - fork in the right hand, right side up, and food sort of scooped onto the fork and then into the mouth in one fluid motion. If they need to cut anything, it's either with the side of the fork if it's possible (like when eating a fried egg) or switching hands with the utensils and then steadying the food with the fork while cutting with the knife, then back again to eat.

I didn't realise that that my post was about was 'American style eating'. How interesting! But that is exactly how my partner eats. Which is rather odd because he ain't American. I've no idea why he eats that way or when it began (can't remember) but he is working-class Sunderland. I'm originally working-class South England and I always eat fork in left hand, knife in right, in the way you describe that you do. So whatever else - it can't be a class thing. :scratchhead:

There seems to be more to this topic than meets the eye...

From the pacific, right handed, fork left hand, up or down depends on food. Knife right hand, so I use both 90% of the time, but like your partner I sometimes do this. If I'm having like a pie with mash on top I will put sauce on top. Then cut up using both knife and fork, then I switch my fork into my right hand and only use that to eat with. And I'm not a slow eater. Shepherds pie etc ,same, switch fork to right and use that only.

Russ

I didn't realise that that my post was about was 'American style eating'. How interesting! But that is exactly how my partner eats. Which is rather odd because he ain't American. I've no idea why he eats that way or when it began (can't remember) but he is working-class Sunderland. I'm originally working-class South England and I always eat fork in left hand, knife in right, in the way you describe that you do. So whatever else - it can't be a class thing. :scratchhead:

Do you mean you hold your knife in your right hand all the time you are eating or just when you need it?

I've travelled all over Yurrip, and you Yurippeans use utensils differently than most Murcans. The upside-down fork thing is a big difference. It makes good sense, but it's just not how most of us here grew up. I don't think it is weird... just different.

Now, the way you Brits pronounce words is weird. :scratchhead: :wink:

CD

I've travelled all over Yurrip, and you Yurippeans use utensils differently than most Murcans. The upside-down fork thing is a big difference. It makes good sense, but it's just not how most of us here grew up. I don't think it is weird... just different.

CD

Giggle two Ronnies and four candles. That's seriously funny use of words. :)

Russ

Do you mean you hold your knife in your right hand all the time you are eating or just when you need it?

I hold knife in right hand and fork in left at all times. As would be the case in a fine-dining restaurant I think. Maybe on the odd occasion, like rascal, I might use a fork in right hand and no knife - with something like a bowl of mashed potato. Yes, I do eat bowls of mash and sometimes with a teaspoon!

CD

Does this mean that tables are laid in a different manner in the States?

Back
Top Bottom