Knives & forks

Just to confuse them more, do this, my son when he worked for me, we had 3 computers in the office , the main one was on my desk, I tried to do e mails and kept getting words wrong, son had flicked the keys off and moved around slightly. Took me a while to work it out. My son likes playing jokes,lol. I used to get Russian chicks e mailing me from a dating site. Worked out he had set me up on the site.

Russ

One of my customers types hunt-and-peck, and his employees did that to him. I was there the day they did it, and he was dropping f-bombs left and right.

CD

I am extremely right-handed. My left hand is almost useless. That probably also has a lot to do with how I handle utensils.

Weird thing is, I am "left-eyed." I use my left eye to look through my cameras, or aim a gun.

CD
I'm neither left-handed nor right-handed. My sister is right-handed, my late sister was left-handed, and my brother was ambidextrous to the point that he could be, say, drawing with his left hand and writing with his right. I write with my right hand but use my left hand to do lots of things too - or, in other words, I'm just plain awkward :D
I am left-eyed when using a camera and right-eyed when using a gun - don't ask!

My mum was a lefty, I'm right with everything. Same with wife. Daughter is a lefty. Son like me. Their kids are having problems as they are taking up softball this year. Their kids do both so they are having trouble buying softball gloves, they keep switching hands. Expensive problem for the parents.!!

Russ

Their kids do both so they are having trouble buying softball gloves....
Falconry gloves are left-handed as the bird normally flies to your left fist and you hold their food in your right. Expensive if you need a right-handed glove, and decent falconry gloves are not cheap anyway.

Falconry gloves are left-handed as the bird normally flies to your left fist and you hold their food in your right. Expensive if you need a right-handed glove, and decent falconry gloves are not cheap anyway.

I've always admired the falcon and its abilities!!

Russ

If any of the food on my plate needs cut up I use a knife and fork, if not, I just use a fork in my left hand. When my eldest son was at grammar school, the headmaster criticised people who didn't use a knife when eating their dinner in the canteen. I told my son at the time to tell the headmaster, whom my parents knew well, that his gran - my mother - didn't even put knives on the table if they weren't needed for cutting.

My husband also tends to cut up his food prior to eating it and will then eat it very slowly as he has problems with indigestion. He also puts sauce on his food before he eats it, so even if it's hot when he gets it, it's well cold by the time he's tucking into it.

I haven't figured out which is the best method of holding a fork and knife that will successfully get the food from plate to mouth without the food falling off. My mother used to tell me to bring my food to my mouth, not the other way round, but I just can't do it, I always have to put my mouth to my food. I think people should just do what suits them best.

Gillian

If any of the food on my plate needs cut up I use a knife and fork, if not, I just use a fork in my left hand. When my eldest son was at grammar school, the headmaster criticised people who didn't use a knife when eating their dinner in the canteen. I told my son at the time to tell the headmaster, whom my parents knew well, that his gran - my mother - didn't even put knives on the table if they weren't needed for cutting.

My husband also tends to cut up his food prior to eating it and will then eat it very slowly as he has problems with indigestion. He also puts sauce on his food before he eats it, so even if it's hot when he gets it, it's well cold by the time he's tucking into it.

I haven't figured out which is the best method of holding a fork and knife that will successfully get the food from plate to mouth without the food falling off. My mother used to tell me to bring my food to my mouth, not the other way round, but I just can't do it, I always have to put my mouth to my food. I think people should just do what suits them best.

Gillian

Same, we had risotto last night, served with a form and bread. That's all you need, but meat I use both. We have three types of cutlery depending on how up market I'm being. Plus we have a Thai set I bought for Asian dishes.

Russ

My husband also tends to cut up his food prior to eating it
Now that is something that would warrant a telling-off by my wife's grandmother. That side of my wife's family were quite posh, with coming-out parties for young ladies and frequent formal dinners, that sort of thing, and cutting up an entire steak, for example, instead of just cutting off each piece to be eaten, was considered very unrefined, indeed.

TBH, when I first met her, she came across as quite stuffy and insufferable, but over the decade or so that I knew her, I came to appreciate how she was a bit of a bridge to another time, when women wore formal gloves and all that kind of thing. She really was a fascinating old dear.

I'm left-handed and I use cutlery the "normal" way.

Mind you, I think it's the case that left-handed people are better at using their right hands than right-handed people are with their left, simply because things are designed for right-handers.

Back
Top Bottom