Recipe Koosmali (Carrot & Yoghurt salad)

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
4:00 AM
This recipe makes a change from the customary raita when serving Indian food.

Ingredients:
400 gms fresh carrots, grated
1 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
2 tsps black mustard seeds
1 carton natural yoghurt (150-180 gms)
Pinch of asafoetida
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
2 tsps sugar
1 tsp salt
crushed peanuts to decorate (optional)

Method:
  • Heat the ghee in a frying pan .
  • Add the asafoetida and mustard seeds and cook until the seeds begin to pop.
  • Now add the grated carrots, salt and cayenne pepper and stir gently until the carrots change colour; about 2-3 minutes.
  • Remove from the heat and put the contents of the pan into a bowl. Mix in the sugar and allow the carrots to cool completely.
  • Lightly beat the yoghurt and add to the carrots.
  • Garnish with crushed peanuts if desired.

Add the sugar, because the dish is from Maharashtra and they use sugar a lot.
I also looked at the dark things on top, and couldn´t for the life of me remember what they were.:roflmao::roflmao:
I made this dish for my kids in Cincinnati, back in 2019.
I think they might be chopped dates, but to be honest, I´ve got no idea.

karadekoolaid what is natural yoghurt?
Plain maybe? No flavorings? Or Greek yoghurt?
I do like the idea of a Carrot Salad using yoghurt rather than mayo... I grew up with that and Raisins were always in it, but not much mayonnaise.
I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find asafoetida here in Cowboyville Arizona, so is there a sub for that ingredient?

karadekoolaid what is natural yoghurt?
Plain maybe? No flavorings? Or Greek yoghurt?
I do like the idea of a Carrot Salad using yoghurt rather than mayo... I grew up with that and Raisins were always in it, but not much mayonnaise.
I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find asafoetida here in Cowboyville Arizona, so is there a sub for that ingredient?
Natural yoghurt or live yoghurt is just straight yoghurt nothing added and not pasteurized after it has been made, so it can actually be used to make more yoghurt, so yes to plain, no flavorings and nothing added before it is made either, so milk and yoghurt culture (usually a powder kept in the freezer or a tablespoon of natural/live yoghurt). ( I make all my own yoghurt, it's much cheaper and nicer)

Greek yoghurt (also plain) is usually thicker but it is essentially strained yoghurt so that could also be used.

You can get it in Phoenix but knowing distances in the US that is probably hours of travel from where you live. One thing you can sub for asafetida is Himalayan black salt (kala namak) but I think that might be just as difficult to find!

Back
Top Bottom