Labor Day 2020 in the US

We don't do anything for Labor Day that's special. It's not a big holiday for us.

No plans here. If the weather is warm and sunny, enjoy the sunshine either at the pool or beach and grill something for dinner. Cocktails will be consumed during the outdoor activities 🍹🍻

I have to laugh a little. My manager just sent an email to us from three managers above him (so fairly high up), saying we can be let go early tomorrow (noon) to get a head start on our holiday.

Why am I giggling a bit? Because I can follow the email chain from my manager to his manager, to a lateral guy, to my manager's manager's manager, to another admin guy, until I finally get to the top dog, and it plainly says, don't share this with your people until 8AM tomorrow.

Oops! :laugh:

Last edited:
I have to laugh a little. My manager just sent an email to us from three managers above him (so fairly high up), saying we can be let go early tomorrow (noon) to get a head start on our holiday.

Why am I giggling a bit? Because I can follow the email chain from my manager to his manager, to a lateral guy, to my manager's manager's manager, to another admin guy, until I finally get to the top dog, and it plainly says, don't share this with your people until 8AM tomorrow.

Oops! :laugh:

When I worked for a big company here I was 2IC at chch branch. One night the boss left early and I found myself opening inter office mail,from my boss to the big boss in Auckland. Unbelievable, he took credit for a big sale I made with a big mining company. $40,000 order was big 30 years ago. He claimed he secured the deal. Next day I rang head office and made it clear who got the order. I knew then it was time to start working for myself. No one has told what to do since then.
Enjoy your weekend TastyReuben

Russ

Meeting my sons girlfriend for the first time. That should be interesting.

Mom... Dad... meet Becky.

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 8.16.43 PM.jpg

CD

Mom... Dad... meet Becky.

View attachment 45901

CD
I'd give the boy a "Well done!" for that. :laugh:

Here's my totally inappropriate "meeting my son's girlfriend" story, and since I don't have kids myself, it involves my brother Lee.

One day, I called Lee for something, then asked what he was going to be up to in the next few days.

He rather enthusiastically replied, "We're having a family cookout. Jake's bringing his girlfriend over to meet everyone for the first time, so it'll be me and Donna, and then Jake's mom and her husband. It should be pretty good!"

Lee was excited because Jake was a fairly shy, introverted 15yo, and this was his first real girlfriend, and he was glad to see Jake finally meeting people, especially that he was showing some romantic interest for someone, and that someone was also interested in him.

"Let's face it...Jake's no George Clooney."

I wished him a good time and all that, and made a note to call back in a few days to see how it went.

Called, pleasantries exchanged, and I finally asked, "So...how'd the big cookout go?"

His tone immediately shifted, to one of almost sadness: "Oh, that. Yeah, it was fine."

"Well, if I may say so, you sound almost depressed about it. What happened? Was she unfriendly or something?"

"Well...it's hard to explain, really, because you don't have a kid, a boy, you know? Meeting their girlfriend for the first time, their first real girlfriend, you know, that's kind of a big deal for a father and a son, you know."

"Yeah, and...I mean, was she a smartazz or something? Just the usual insufferable teen? What's the deal?"

"No, she was nice enough, it's just that she was, well, she was, I'll just say it: she wasn't very...attractive."

"What in the world's that got to do with anything?"

"It's just, it's...disappointing is all, I guess. You wouldn't get it."

"What's to get? She's nice, she's not nice. She treats Jake ok or she doesn't. What am I missing?"

(Pauses for several seconds)

"Look, it's like this: every dad dreams of his kid bringing home his first real girlfriend, like when they're teens, because the dad likes to look at them, and then imagine that his kid is having sex with her, and being proud of his kid for getting with a hot little teenager, because it kind of reminds the dad when he was a teenager and getting with all the hot little teens back then...BUT SHE WASN'T THAT GOOD-LOOKING!"

:eek:

"Ok...yeah, I'm not a dad, but I don't think that's what 'all dads' think of.'"

"I TOLD YOU YOU WOULDN'T GET IT! ALL DADS THINK OF POKING THEIR SONS' GIRLFRIENDS!"

"Um...that's not what you said. You said it reminded you of your old girlfriends. Now you want to poke Jake's girlfriend?"

"No, that's the problem! I don't want to, and I've looked forward to this ever since he was born!"

"I think you just gave me reason 1,486 as to why I never wanted kids."

"YOU JUST DON'T GET IT! YOU NEVER WILL!"

:laugh:

I'd give the boy a "Well done!" for that. :laugh:

Here's my totally inappropriate "meeting my son's girlfriend" story, and since I don't have kids myself, it involves my brother Lee.

One day, I called Lee for something, then asked what he was going to be up to in the next few days.

He rather enthusiastically replied, "We're having a family cookout. Jake's bringing his girlfriend over to meet everyone for the first time, so it'll be me and Donna, and then Jake's mom and her husband. It should be pretty good!"

Lee was excited because Jake was a fairly shy, introverted 15yo, and this was his first real girlfriend, and he was glad to see Jake finally meeting people, especially that he was showing some romantic interest for someone, and that someone was also interested in him.

"Let's face it...Jake's no George Clooney."

I wished him a good time and all that, and made a note to call back in a few days to see how it went.

Called, pleasantries exchanged, and I finally asked, "So...how'd the big cookout go?"

His tone immediately shifted, to one of almost sadness: "Oh, that. Yeah, it was fine."

"Well, if I may say so, you sound almost depressed about it. What happened? Was she unfriendly or something?"

"Well...it's hard to explain, really, because you don't have a kid, a boy, you know? Meeting their girlfriend for the first time, their first real girlfriend, you know, that's kind of a big deal for a father and a son, you know."

"Yeah, and...I mean, was she a smartazz or something? Just the usual insufferable teen? What's the deal?"

"No, she was nice enough, it's just that she was, well, she was, I'll just say it: she wasn't very...attractive."

"What in the world's that got to do with anything?"

"It's just, it's...disappointing is all, I guess. You wouldn't get it."

"What's to get? She's nice, she's not nice. She treats Jake ok or she doesn't. What am I missing?"

(Pauses for several seconds)

"Look, it's like this: every dad dreams of his kid bringing home his first real girlfriend, like when they're teens, because the dad likes to look at them, and then imagine that his kid is having sex with her, and being proud of his kid for getting with a hot little teenager, because it kind of reminds the dad when he was a teenager and getting with all the hot little teens back then...BUT SHE WASN'T THAT GOOD-LOOKING!"

:eek:

"Ok...yeah, I'm not a dad, but I don't think that's what 'all dads' think of.'"

"I TOLD YOU YOU WOULDN'T GET IT! ALL DADS THINK OF POKING THEIR SONS' GIRLFRIENDS!"

"Um...that's not what you said. You said it reminded you of your old girlfriends. Now you want to poke Jake's girlfriend?"

"No, that's the problem! I don't want to, and I've looked forward to this ever since he was born!"

"I think you just gave me reason 1,486 as to why I never wanted kids."

"YOU JUST DON'T GET IT! YOU NEVER WILL!"

:laugh:

Was Lee's real last name Trump? :eek:

CD

Back
Top Bottom