Labor Day 2020 in the US

My day so far

Well Winn Dixie had BB ribs in cryo packs (2 to a pack) on Bogo so I'll be making 1 package on the Egg. Maybe some ABT's or Moink balls as appetizers. We have a small chain BBQ place called 4
Rivers that sells their sauce through Publix. The original location is in Jacksonville, FL. We bought 2 of their's, a sweet Memphis style and a Carolina mustard based.

Last edited:
Well Winn Dixie had BB ribs in cryo packs (2 to a pack) on Bogo so I'll be making 1 package on the Egg. Maybe some ABT's or Moink balls as appetizers. We have a small chain BBQ place called 4
Rivers that sells their sauce through Publix. The original location is in Jacksonville, FL. We bought 2 of their a sweet Memphis style and a Carolina mustard based.

So, it looks like we are cooking the same thing. You on the egg, me on the Weber. Looks like happy eating in South Florida and North Texas. :hungry:

CD

Nice crappie! Do you eat freshwater fish?

Yes sir. Not out of this lake! We haven't fished in 10 years. I re strung the poles and cleaned them up. I fished three times this weekend for a test run. Colleen and I are vacation for 4 days on the west side of Michigan. We rented a house on a river. Our game plan is to eat, drink, and fish!

BB ribs and horseradish potato salad. The ribs were done on my BGE. We used sauces from a local place called 4 Rivers BBQ, one mustard and one Memphis style. I wrapped the ribs after 2 hours and they went another 1-1/2 hours. They were prepped by pulling the membrane and putting a rub I already had in the fridge.

36788-albums1069-picture8426.jpg

Last edited:
BB ribs and horseradish potato salad. The ribs were done on my BGE. We used sauces from a local place called 4 Rivers BBQ, one mustard and one Memphis style. I wrapped the ribs after 2 hours and they went another 1-1/2 hours. They were prepped by pulling the membrane and putting a rub I already had in the fridge.

View attachment 46104

Horse radish sauce, I found mine in the freezer last night while looking for something. I put it near the front for a beef cook I'm planning. You just reminded me.

Russ

View attachment 46104

Well, my ribs turned out tasting great, but they put up a fight. First, I ran out of paper towels, and Kleenex does NOT work as a substitute for pulling the membrane off of ribs. Then, I set the Weber up using the snake method. Lit the coals, came back 15 minutes later, and they were out. So I got the chimney out, and lit a small batch of charcoal that way. I managed to get the snake lit... but it went out again after about an hour. I've never had that happen. Anyway, they had an hour of smoke on them, so I wrapped them in foil with some apple juice and brown sugar, and finished them in the oven.

Like I said, they tasted great in the end, but I worked a lot harder than I wanted to. I hope my neighbors didn't hear the profanities.

CD

Well, my ribs turned out tasting great, but they put up a fight. First, I ran out of paper towels, and Kleenex does NOT work as a substitute for pulling the membrane off of ribs. Then, I set the Weber up using the snake method. Lit the coals, came back 15 minutes later, and they were out. So I got the chimney out, and lit a small batch of charcoal that way. I managed to get the snake lit... but it went out again after about an hour. I've never had that happen. Anyway, they had an hour of smoke on them, so I wrapped them in foil with some apple juice and brown sugar, and finished them in the oven.

Like I said, they tasted great in the end, but I worked a lot harder than I wanted to. I hope my neighbors didn't hear the profanities.

CD

I need to do ribs soon. My son and I alternate who buys them. its his turn. I may Be waiting a while. ??

Russ

What is the snake method?

It may or may not surprise folk in the USA but I've never eaten or cooked beef ribs. Maybe I need to try it. Is there a particular cut of ribs used?

The "snake method" is making a ring of stacked charcoal around most of the circumference of the grill on the charcoal grate. It can be stacked two or three layers high depending on how long your cook will be. Some folks place wood chunks on top of the ring spaced every few inches for smoke. I use a modified "snake" when I use the rotisserie.

BB ribs (baby back) are a cut of pork ribs.' I've never done beef ribs.

Back
Top Bottom