1/2 tsp chilli flakes
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1 large green cayenne chilli chopped
zest 1/2 lemon

Method
Combine all ingredients and thoroughly mix. Take one small handful lamb mix at a time and form in to thick sausage shapes and place on skewers. Refrigerate 1 hour. Preheat oven to 200 degree C. Place koftas on a rack and roast for 20-25 minutes. Remove, and turn on oven grill (broiler) to a high heat. When hot, place koftas under grill and brown/colour them turning regularly.

I served with garlic yoghurt and sultana/parsley cous cous, and lemon wedges.

View attachment 31283

Ingredients
1kg mince lamb
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1 large green cayenne chilli chopped
zest 1/2 lemon

Method
Combine all ingredients and thoroughly mix. Take one small handful lamb mix at a time and form in to thick sausage shapes and place on skewers. Refrigerate 1 hour. Preheat oven to 200 degree C. Place koftas on a rack and roast for 20-25 minutes. Remove, and turn on oven grill (broiler) to a high heat. When hot, place koftas under grill and brown/colour them turning regularly.

I served with garlic yoghurt and sultana/parsley cous cous, and lemon wedges.

Interesting recipe! And you are very good in making photos as well :okay: They speak!

Snap! I also made koftas for the recipe challenge - except mine are pork. I also served yoghurt with them. I'll post them up later.

Yours look absolutely delicious. And we have that wonderful mint with cumin pairing.

For a little while earlier I was actually contemplating using kangaroo mince, just for something different. But lost my nerve as kangaroo is so lean, would have to have added a little fat of some sort I think.

Just if anyone is interested, I'll put the link to the video I made of cooking these today below.

I did make a massive mistake. Forgot to season the lamb mince at the start.... but still was ok when added later, though would have been oh so much better if I'd remembered.

Anyways.... link here:

View: https://youtu.be/r2XaPiqHbbM

You can add this to the top post by clicking edit and pasting in. Then change the prefix to the title to the new 'Recipe & Video' prefix. To do the latter click on 'Thread tools' top right of post and you will see...

I continue to be impressed with how you are able to get such a beautiful char on your meats with standard household equipment. I want to reach into that picture and take a bite.

Smart use of mint here, two: mint is lamb’s best friend (though I don’t think the lamb much appreciates being ground up and put in an oven, but you know what I mean).

I assume the coriander you refer to is the seed, right?

Hi, yes... the coriander is dried ground seeds. You are right about the charring as I have made these before a few times, but just roasted them without the additional hot grill treatment. It truly makes such a huge difference to the taste of the end product.

This is similar to the recipe we use for Shawarma recipe we use for gyros.

Yes, I actually did another video recently making homemade gyros and tzatziki.

For the meat I used fresh oregano instead of mint, squeeze all the moisture from the grated onion, and process the meat mixture further in a machine till it is almost like a paste. Then slow roast the meat in a block, let it cool, then slice and caramelise the slices under the grill (broiler) for the yiros.

Incidentally, for the tzatziki I simiarly squeeze all the moisture out of the cucumber after grating.

I continue to be impressed with how you are able to get such a beautiful char on your meats with standard household equipment. I want to reach into that picture and take a bite.

Smart use of mint here, two: mint is lamb’s best friend (though I don’t think the lamb much appreciates being ground up and put in an oven, but you know what I mean).

I assume the coriander you refer to is the seed, right?

Lamb and mint as you say are perfect for each other. I make a lot of mint sauce every summer. I almost drink it.

Russ

For the meat I used fresh oregano instead of mint, squeeze all the moisture from the grated onion, and process the meat mixture further in a machine till it is almost like a paste. Then slow roast the meat in a block, let it cool, then slice and caramelise the slices under the grill (broiler) for the yiros.

That sounds good. I have fresh oregano in the garden...

Yes, I actually did another video recently making homemade gyros and tzatziki.

Incidentally, for the tzatziki I simiarly squeeze all the moisture out of the cucumber after grating.
I always squeeze the moisture from the cucumber in my tzatziki, but I hadn’t thought of it with the onion (which has a lot of water) in this recipe. It makes sense, since escaping moisture loosens up the meat. I will give this a try in other applications, too.

Back
Top Bottom