Lazy ‘Cooking’

We really don't have much around us here for takeout, so it's cook or starve... and before you even ask, NO, DH does not have the slightest inkling of how to cook anything other than to micro something leftover in the `fridge...
I can always rely on my two freezers though.
I can find something to do a quick-defrost on and have dinner on the table toot sweet!
I've got soups, stews, chilis, vegetables, breads/rolls, pizza and of course the regular stuff that I can grill and make a nice meal of in no time or real effort.

We really don't have much around us here for takeout, so it's cook or starve... and before you even ask, NO, DH does not have the slightest inkling of how to cook anything other than to micro something leftover in the `fridge...
I can always rely on my two freezers though.
I can find something to do a quick-defrost on and have dinner on the table toot sweet!
I've got soups, stews, chilis, vegetables, breads/rolls, pizza and of course the regular stuff that I can grill and make a nice meal of in no time or real effort.
Can I live with you then? 🤣

She’s 60 in a couple of months and would need a map to find the kitchen. If she hasn’t started by now…it ain’t happening.

No 💩, I asked her to hard-boil eggs last week…she wildly overcooked them because she couldn’t figure out the timer on the cooker we’ve had for close to 10 years. That timer…press Timer, use the arrows to enter the time, press Start…and it even tells you each step on the readout. 🤷🏻

It might be a stroke thing. I have to walk Craig through the one on the stove. I usually end up using the timer on my phone. He can set the microwave timer though, as it's very straight forward and less buttons to push.

He has to be reminded to turn on the additional ring burners on the two that are variable in size. He always forgets. I also have to remind him every time about the power burner that gets hotter way faster than the others because he will burn stuff otherwise.

He can turn the oven on fine, but if a temp change is required, he can't reset it by himself without turning the oven totally off and starting from the beginning.

I told him dinner was on him this morning and listed what we have left menu wise. We ended up going out for lunch to the diner that we always bring home at least half of what they serve us. So, we had leftover lunch for dinner.

It might be a stroke thing.
It might be.

However, she’s almost never uses the stove, nor the one before. I’m 100% sure she doesn’t even know it has those inner/outer burners like what you’ve got.

He can turn the oven on fine, but if a temp change is required, he can't reset it by himself without turning the oven totally off and starting from the beginning.
You were describing your stove and it sounds a lot like mine…and I don’t know how to do that! I do what Craig does! Now I’ve got to go get the manual out and look through it. :laugh:

I prescribe getting them to cook once a week! Worked on the less competent (or willing) members of my clan.
Nope, not here. My kitchen would be a total mess, even after he "cleaned" it. And I Iike my food edible. Its easier to just say, "Let's get Chinese takeout tonight." He'll say, "The usual?" Then he'll call it in and go pick it up. Much easier.
You know the sort of thing. You want something nice to eat but have run out of steam.
Not to the extent you’d order takeaway but it’s close.

Expended all my cooking energies at lunch time on making garlic bread and Kha Gai soup. I’ve nothing left in the tank.

The idea of a ready meal makes your stomach turn so you go for your easy assembly quick fix hit.

Post it here, might be steak baguette, sausage and mash, jacket potato. You wouldn’t declare you ‘cooked‘ it but at the same time you did manage to get the ingredients on a plate 😆

These assemblies are always handy to have in the bank for those tired days.
When I make bolognese sauce, I make a big batch and freeze most of it in containers for nights like that. Hubby could eat it every day with no complaints.

Nope, not here. My kitchen would be a total mess, even after he "cleaned" it. And I Iike my food edible. Its easier to just say, "Let's get Chinese takeout tonight." He'll say, "The usual?" Then he'll call it in and go pick it up. Much easier.
Same, my husband doesn't cook either. He could survive on his own, but he agrees my food is a lot better. His is just for fuel, nothing more.

When I feel too ill to cook (which is more often than I'd like) I just make a meal with things that are convenient to use but still require some cooking. Like frozen fries, ready made burger patties, frozen pizza bases or stuff like that. Since the Italian has gone the take out here is kinda non existent, so on off days we either eat meals I made and froze previously or this type of easy meals.

When I can´t be bothered, I usually do one of two things: aglio e olio, or my version of a satay sauce with pasta. Neither takes more than 15 minutes.
Aglio e olio: bring salted water to a boil and measure out pasta. Meanwhile, slice 10 cloves of garlic into thick chunks and cook gently in plenty of olive oil. Add fresh chiles.
Satay: bring salted water to a boil and measure out pasta. Get the blender out. Dump in a couple of spring onions (or a chunk of white onion), 2 - 3 tablespoons peanut butter, 2 cloves garlic, piece of ginger, a tomato, splash soy sauce, splash rice wine vinegar (or any vinegar you´ve got) grated lime zest (or just lime juice), bunch of fresh coriander, 2-3 fresh chiles (or splash of hot sauce), sesame oil. Blitz to a paste. The idea is not to meticulously select the ingredients, but rather to open the fridge and dump things in the blender as quickly as possible. Add water if necessary. Heat through in microwave whilst the pasta is cooking.

When I can´t be bothered, I usually do one of two things: aglio e olio, or my version of a satay sauce with pasta. Neither takes more than 15 minutes.
Aglio e olio: bring salted water to a boil and measure out pasta. Meanwhile, slice 10 cloves of garlic into thick chunks and cook gently in plenty of olive oil. Add fresh chiles.
Satay: bring salted water to a boil and measure out pasta. Get the blender out. Dump in a couple of spring onions (or a chunk of white onion), 2 - 3 tablespoons peanut butter, 2 cloves garlic, piece of ginger, a tomato, splash soy sauce, splash rice wine vinegar (or any vinegar you´ve got) grated lime zest (or just lime juice), bunch of fresh coriander, 2-3 fresh chiles (or splash of hot sauce), sesame oil. Blitz to a paste. The idea is not to meticulously select the ingredients, but rather to open the fridge and dump things in the blender as quickly as possible. Add water if necessary. Heat through in microwave whilst the pasta is cooking.

To 'get the blender out' would be way too energetic for me - the antithesis of a low effort meal. In fact I hate getting it out in general because of getting the attachments out, uncoiling and coiling the wire, scraping all the bits off the inside, the washing and cleaning... not for me on a lazy night. :)

My other half does the dishwasher and tidies away cooking mess.
He never used to but after my boys left for uni I said that’s it. I’m no longer doing all of it.

We miraculously fell into I cook he cleans up. Makes a big difference to us because as soon as I see a tidy kitchen I start cooking again 😂

About a week or so ago, I made some Veggie Beef & Barley Soup. Though I wanted it, but really didn't want to do it, I did it anyway. It was getting late, past midnight because of the time required to make it! Finally, it was done, & I had a little of it for supper. Had to let it cool somewhat before putting it in the fridge. Well, a few days later, I had to vacuum seal it in 2 bags & freeze it so that it wouldn't spoil. But still, it was exhausting to do that, but I managed to do it. Haven't really cooked since then, only a burger now & then. It's sometimes really exhausting to cook. Especially when cooking a lot. So I'm just a 'cook now & then' kind a guy. Don't do it unless I really want to do it. :whistling:
Veggie Beef & Barley Soup..JPG

Back
Top Bottom