Recipe Leek & Potato Soup

ThatDude

Quo Fata Ferunt
Local time
6:22 AM
Website
jonobrands.com
Like a lot of great soups, this is the result of ingredients that had to go.

Start by sweating down 3 large leeks and 4 cloves of minced garlic over medium heat in about 1T of butter, and 1T of olive oil...salt and pepper to taste. Should take about 10min, you want them very tender. Add a Bay Leaf here if you've got it, if not, no big whoop.

Into this add about 2lbs of potatoes, large diced. I used Russet Potatoes. Cover with low sodium veggie (for a vegetarian option) OR low sodium chicken stock. Bring to simmer and let go until potatoes are tender, about 12min or so. Remove from heat.

Using an immersion blender, zip up the mix until nice and smooth. Put back on heat, bring to simmer and add about 3 sprigs worth of fresh thyme, then finish with about 1c of heavy cream and blend thoroughly.

Top top, or not.
There are few thing that bacon can't make better. So I opt for streaky bacon. Crispy, well rendered, coarsely chopped bacon. A little drizzle of heavy cream or good quality olive oil is also a nice touch to finish if you'd like to keep it vegetarian. Some fresh chives or green onion would play well with the bacon option, or non-bacon option.

Soup.jpg

A classic soup here and a lovely photo too. A good move to add fresh thyme at the very end of cooking. So often herbs become lost and muddied in soups and stews. I probably wouldn't add this much cream - or maybe none at all but that is a matter of taste (and calories!).

Back
Top Bottom