Recipe Leftover Bubble and Squeak

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:46 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This is a festive leftover Bubble and Squeak recipe... Designed to use up whatever is to hand, so adapt and add as necessary.

Serves around 4.

Ingredients
  • 50g/2oz butter
  • 1 (red) onion, sliced
  • 200g/7oz leftover turkey/chicken/goose, torn into pieces
  • 200g/7oz leftover ham, torn into pieces or 5 rashers uncooked bacon, chopped into large pieces
  • 200g/7oz leftover roast pumpkin/carrots, cut into chunks
  • 100g/3½oz leftover stuffing
  • 8 leftover roast potatoes, cut into chunks
  • 6-8 raw Brussels sprouts, quartered or if leftovers then adjust cooking times as below.
Method
  1. Melt the butter in a large pan and fry the onion until softened. If you have no leftover ham and are using uncooked bacon, add to the softening onions.
  2. When the onions are browning, stir in the all of the ingredients except for the Brussels sprouts/cabbage.
  3. With a fork, mash the potatoes and pumpkin/carrots, distributing it evenly to bind the meat.
  4. Add the raw Brussels sprouts and cook through for 15 minutes, adding more butter if needed. (If you only have leftover cooked Brussels sprouts/cabbage, you can add these, but cook for about five minutes.)

I love this recipe! I am going to definitely being doing this after the big holiday meal.
There is always so many leftover when the meal is finished and this sounds like the\
perfect to use them all up! I am excited to give this one a try!

Bubble and squeak always goes down well! But I must admit I've never used raw onion, bacon or raw sprouts. I normally roughly chop & mash all the cooked leftovers together at the same time to form a kind of cake, seasoning with white pepper (you'd be amazed what a difference that makes) and then fry in butter, turning over once. Much quicker. But I'll give this recipe a try. Not sure about the raw quartered sprouts cooking properly though. But maybe they are meant to be al dente!

The one thing I would say about Bubble and Squeak is that it has to have sprouts or cabbage in it. You won't get the authentic taste otherwise.

Last edited:
Hmm so I am guessing bubble and squeak means leftovers? I have heard the name before. We don't really use that term over here. I think that recipe looks good to clean up any holiday leftovers. It is one of the things that I might wish to put into place when I am trying to use up holiday leftovers. although I don't think any ham is going to be involved.

Hmm so I am guessing bubble and squeak means leftovers? I have heard the name before. We don't really use that term over here. I think that recipe looks good to clean up any holiday leftovers. It is one of the things that I might wish to put into place when I am trying to use up holiday leftovers. although I don't think any ham is going to be involved.
It means pan fried leftovers made into a kind of cake shape. Normally leftover vegetables from the Sunday roast. Often its served as part of an English breakfast. So called because it makes bubble and squeak sounds whilst it cooks. It should look rather like this:
bubble an squeak.jpg

Bubble and squeak is also very specific leftovers though. It has to be potatoes and cabbage/Brussel sprouts.

Bubble and squeak is a traditional English dish made with the shallow-fried leftover vegetables from a roast dinner. The main ingredients are potato and cabbage, but carrots, peas, Brussels sprouts, or any other leftover vegetables can be added

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_and_squeak

Hmm so I am guessing bubble and squeak means leftovers?

You may have heard the Scottish name for it - "Rumbledethumps"? I was always of the opinion that the name "bubble and squeak" came from the noise the mash made during cooking.

Anyway, as we don't eat roast dinners here I make my own bubble and squeak from scratch. Boil potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions, etc., separately then mash them all together with a little milk, butter, salt and black pepper. Then the important part: it must be left covered over at least one night in the fridge.

To cook it I spread it about 20 mm thick in a large fry pan with a little oil and fry until brown underneath. Then I turn it over and make two indentations into which I crack eggs. Then fit a lid and effectively steam the eggs whilst the other side of the potatoes, etc. brown.

This is a meal I made earlier with grilled pork loin in green pepper and whisky sauce.

bubblesqueak.jpg

pukka_zpsaslal1wb.jpg

Jumbo sausage roll with Yorkshire sauce, bubble and squeak and baked beans.

You may have heard the Scottish name for it - "Rumbledethumps"? I was always of the opinion that the name "bubble and squeak" came from the noise the mash made during cooking.

Anyway, as we don't eat roast dinners here I make my own bubble and squeak from scratch. Boil potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions, etc., separately then mash them all together with a little milk, butter, salt and black pepper. Then the important part: it must be left covered over at least one night in the fridge.

To cook it I spread it about 20 mm thick in a large fry pan with a little oil and fry until brown underneath. Then I turn it over and make two indentations into which I crack eggs. Then fit a lid and effectively steam the eggs whilst the other side of the potatoes, etc. brown.

This is a meal I made earlier with grilled pork loin in green pepper and whisky sauce.

View attachment 3303

Man that's very tempting.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom