Recipe Lentil and Mushroom Dressing

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
5:36 PM
LENTIL AND MUSHROOM DRESSING
I found a recipe called Lentil and Mushroom Stuffing. In my region we call it dressing if it is not in the bird. I took several liberties with the recipe using what I had on hand. The Late Night Gourmet would call it improvisations. It worked. George liked it. When I told him what I was making he made a face. After dinner he commented that the lentils were better than he expected. I call that a win.
This is the full recipe. I made a half recipe.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup Brown Lentils - rinsed (you could use 1/2 cup brown and 1/2 cup green)
2 cups water
1 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
2 TBSP olive oil
1 Bay Leaf
3 ribs celery, diced.
1/2 onion, minced.
3 cloves garlic, minced.
12 0z. brown mushrooms, sliced.
1/4 cup chopped dried Mangos. (recipe called for apricots)
1/4 cup mix of dried cranberries and almonds. (recipe called for cranberries)
1 1/2 Tsp. minced fresh Sage
1 Tsp. minced fresh Rosemary
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Top with chopped fresh parsley

METHOD
. In a saucepan, bring water, 1 cup broth, lentils and bay leaf to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are just tender. Drain, remove the bay leaf and set aside.
. While lentils are cooking heat oil in a sauté pan. Cook celery and onions 2 or 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms and cook 5 or 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant.
. Stir in dried fruit, sage, rosemary and 1/2 cup broth. Simmer for a couple of minutes then add the lentils. Stir to heat the lentils. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Top with fresh parsley.

I served the dressing with roasted Cornish Hen. Yummy!!

Very nice. I think the mango and cranberries are a lovely touch. Earthy brown lentils need a touch of sourness. As there isn't a photo, may I ask what the consistency the final 'dressing' or stuffing is?

Last edited:
I am working on a photo. I have a new laptop and have not figured out how to import photos from my phone.
The final product was moist with a nice texture. The lentils were not mushy - just right. The dried fruit and nuts added a nice textural contrast.

Thanks. Would be great to see a photo if you can work it out.

Back
Top Bottom