Lets do the Mashed Potato

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:17 PM
Spinning off @Duck59 's thread about the decline in potato sales... now I just adore mashed potato. In fact, I love it so much I even like Smash (the UK dried flaked or powdered potatoes which you reconstitute with boiling water). :eek: Yes, I really do like that.

Mashed potatoes can be made up in so many ways. Saffy mash (saffron and butter mixed in) is my luxurious favourite, but there are so many other things you can do. I'd love to hear other ideas of what you do with mashed potato.

Last edited:
Not very adventurous, I'm afraid. I normally only have mash on shepherds pie or with sausages. In fact, I think what I like are technically creamed potatoes and even then I only like them cooked how I do them - boil the potatoes, drain, put about 3/4 inch of milk in the pan with a huge pat of butter, bring back to the boil for a few minutes and then mash.

We like mash but it has to be mash not creamed [a difference many of the so called chefs don't seem to grasp]

I don't think that I know the difference either. Mashed potatoes to me are boiled potatoes mashed with a little milk and butter and seasoning. Then you may do all sorts of things with it.

And creamed potatoes are?

As I've probably mentioned in approximately 126 other places, I like a potato pancake. Admittedly, my usual approach is using grated potato, but it's perfectly viable to use mashed.

We also have an occasional foray into a variation on the bubble-and-squeak theme. This usually comes about when there is a bit of a potato overload in the kitchen and/or there are vegetables that need to be used up fairly quickly. The good thing about this is that you can put any vegetable into it (and the odd fruit if one considers tomatoes). A good dose of garlic and chilli gives it some kick.

While there is, as far as I know, no culinary or scientific name for this concoction, it is known in this abode as "schlock".

Nothing special here, just milk and butter. Occasionally, they are sprinkled with smoked paprika.

I remember seeing a show where Gordon Ramsay went on about how the best mashed are a ratio of about 60/40 potatoes to butter. My fitness obsessed wife would beat me with the potato masher if I tried to make that at home.

Speaking of mashing tools, I like to use the potato ricer when I have time to go looking for the thing. It never seems to be stored in the same place twice.

I don't think that I know the difference either. Mashed potatoes to me are boiled potatoes mashed with a little milk and butter and seasoning. Then you may do all sorts of things with it.

And creamed potatoes are?
I've always taken mashed potatoes to be ones that are mashed in a little of the cooking water, and creamed ones to be mashed with milk and butter.

When dining out for dinner, I often choose mashed potatoes instead of rice or pasta. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom