Lets keep talking about cooking

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:50 PM
In these challenging times, keeping communication going is important for us all, especially for those in self-isolation. The one thing we all share on this forum is a love of cooking and good food and whatever happens, we all need good food every day. So please keep posting new threads about food and sharing your cooking on the forum as well as sharing your experiences of the current situation.

Hey - I don't think I've written anything in such a serious vein here before! But I felt the need to.

I'm not "stuck" at home by the nature of my job, unless they stop anyone except fire personnel from entering fire stations. My second job is dead in the water as many yachts are being turned away from entering the USA or the boats themselves have imposed self isolation. The guy I work with (second job) just returned from Holland right before they closed down. He is now sick, but had been for a while as the weather there was cold and rainy (temps in the 30's to 40's F the whole 2 weeks he was there.

Could happen but I would think if your job is important for fire safety then that wouldn't apply.

But the big wigs don't think about the fact that oil needs changing regularly or filter changes or CO2/O2 monitor calibrating when they decide these things, at least until the machines stop working, then it's panic time. I told him that hopefully they would remember that, but that he might have to wear a mask and gloves to go on.

They have apparently pretty much closed military bases other than essentials coming in.

Last edited:
Had to get the cell phone fixed yesterday. The staff there (there was only one other customer) noted they were likely to come down with the virus due to the fact that phones are probably the dirtiest things we own. (I have a limited supply of wipes, and I keep them in my car. For phone, steering wheel, dashboard, door handle.) I live alone so I can be happy with my germs and cooties at home.

Cooking... figured since I was in town anyway (which is a distance from home) that I'd check out the nearby supermarket. ALL the paper goods were GONE. ALL. Junk food pasta was nearly gone (there is good pasta, but this was the Ronzoni stuff...) Rice, decimated. Water (HEY I HAVE A FUNCTIONING WATER FAUCET... or THREE? WHAT gives here unless you already need to use grocery-supplied water???) I noticed peanut butter was low.

I forgot to check the eggs, as since I raise my own, I didn't think about them. I didn't check the bread, because if I do buy bread, I buy it from a real bakery that doesn't put 30 plus ingredients into it. (I really don't NEED bread - for me it is not a staple.) I do have one package each of various types of flour, but that is simply due to being a food blogger and trying things I might not otherwise try on occasion.

Not that I was looking in specific, but I did notice that the peanut butter lane was low.

Oh. I bought coconut flakes yesterday. And a can of whole fat coconut milk. For some reason nearly all the whole fat cans were GONE and I had to look through dented cans to find one whose seams were safe to bring home. I DO have this weird urge to make a coconut recipe in a week or so... Not sure why????

One last interesting thing: When I was at one supermarket in Westfield MA on Saturday, all the self serve salad bar areas were shut down. Yesterday, in Pittsfield, the self serve wings and salad areas were in full swing.

Oh.. seven days and some hours for that coconut recipe. I'm getting ideas in mind!!!

Oh. I bought coconut flakes yesterday. And a can of whole fat coconut milk. For some reason nearly all the whole fat cans were GONE and I had to look through dented cans to find one whose seams were safe to bring home. I DO have this weird urge to make a coconut recipe in a week or so... Not sure why????

Back
Top Bottom