Serves: 2 | Preparation time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins

• Black rice (riso Venere): 170 g
• Raisins: 50 g
• Almond flakes: 50 g
• Honey or maple syrup: 2 tbsp
• Orange zest: of about half an orange
• Cinnamon powder: to taste

Method

Bring some water to boil in a pot, and pour in the black rice.

On the side, let the raisins soak in lukewarm water, until they soften. Drain the water and gently dry the raisins with a cloth.

Grate the peel of half an orange. Toast the almond flakes in a nonstick pan, being careful not to burn them.

Drain the black rice and let it cool down. You can make this process quicker by pouring the cooked rice in a cold ceramic bowl.

First add the honey to the rice, then proceed with the raisins, almond flakes, orange zest and cinnamon powder. Stir well to mix the ingredients, and you’re ready to serve.

Last edited:
You're right, exactly. In fact, Sicily is a region with a strong Middle Eastern/ Arab/North African influence. The use of some ingredients does confirm it indeed.
Oh yes,Venus rice, amazing!
I really like the combination of flavors. I'm wondering if there's enough honey to bind everything together if chilled and make almond and rice clusters? Hmmm...now that I think of it, I don't think it would work with cooked rice, but maybe puffed rice?

Anyway...great recipe!

Last edited:
I really like the combination of flavors. I'm wondering if there's enough honey to bind everything together if chilled and make almond and rice clusters? Hmmm...now that I think of it, I don't think it would work with cooked rice, but maybe puffed rice?

Anyway...great recipe!

I hadn't thought of it, but hey, why not..?
I like the idea of creating 'clusters' (do you mean balls?) and I think honey ties very well. I'm not so sure about the puffed rice, I'm afraid it would become a little 'soggy', maybe?
Try normal rice or even this black Venere could work, it have only to cook much more ..

I hadn't thought of it, but hey, why not..?
I like the idea of creating 'clusters' (do you mean balls?) and I think honey ties very well. I'm not so sure about the puffed rice, I'm afraid it would become a little 'soggy', maybe?
Try normal rice or even this black Venere could work, it have only to cook much more ..
This might require some trial and error. The good news is that the mistakes will still be tasty. :)

Back
Top Bottom