Liquorice - do you love it or hate it?

My liquorice has arrived!
Have never ever liked liquorice until I had Lakrids classic liquorice this Christmas with a cup of coffee. Wow it’s good. Has completely changed my mind about liquorice, well the Lakrids Classic liquorice anyway, the jury is out on the other flavours until they’ve all been sampled.
IMG_1729.jpeg

My liquorice has arrived!
Have never ever liked liquorice until I had Lakrids classic liquorice this Christmas with a cup of coffee. Wow it’s good. Has completely changed my mind about liquorice, well the Lakrids Classic liquorice anyway, the jury is out on the other flavours until they’ve all been sampled.
View attachment 108837

My wife loves licorice. Me.....no.

Russ

My wife loves licorice. Me.....no.

Russ
I can honestly say until I tried the Lakrid Classic I couldn’t stand the stuff.
I thought it would be yet another occasion when I was talked into trying something I know I don’t like to have it confirmed yet again I don’t like it.

But that stuff is gooooood 😆

I love liquorice in any form and its an intriguing ingredient to use in in both savoury and sweet recipes. I've not come across Lakrids. Why is different from other liquorice you have tried SandwichShortOfAPicnic ?
Umm I'm not sure. I think it's that they have taken something that has a strong salty aniseed flavour and paired it with chocolate that both contrasts and enhances it. Sweet and salty, smooth and sharp, but the flavours somehow match and complement each other in strength.
With a sip of espresso it's lovely, hits a lot of notes!

Straightforward plain liquorice always tasted like a bit of a slap in the tastebuds, somehow Lakrids salted caramel chocolate and liquorice combo is more of party 😂

If I had to try and liken it to something, for me liquorice is like trying to eat a spoonful of marmite or patum peperium (The Gentlemen's Relish), it's too much on it's own but put it on hot buttered toast and it becomes something else entirely.
The chocolate liquorice mix is more 50/50 on Lakrids and you really appreciate the taste of the liquorice coming through the chocolate coating, having a dual and making friends.

So far I have to say I'm not blown away by the fruit flavours quite so much as the salted caramel ones.

Oh dear I'm going to have to go and have another coffee 😁

. I think it's that they have taken something that has a strong salty aniseed flavour and paired it with chocolate that both contrasts and enhances it.

Ah - chocolate! I'm hard core. I like it neat and loved to chew on a liquorice root stick. Hard to find them now but they can be bought on-line:

1704735191994.png

Is liquorice root as strong as the usual bought liquorice?

Well - I think not, really. I haven't had any for a long time but my memory is it depends how much you chomp down on it and chew. I think its milder. I also like the super salty kind as loved in the Netherlands. That is probably more hard core.

Dropjes :)
Yes of course I like liquorice.
We grew up with it. Coins are my favourite, but I like plenty types, but not double salted

In a lot of shops you could fill a bag with your own selection of drop

We chewed on liquorice root (zoethout, literal translation is sweet wood) as kids, although I was not a big fan

Well - I think not, really. I haven't had any for a long time but my memory is it depends how much you chomp down on it and chew. I think its milder. I also like the super salty kind as loved in the Netherlands. That is probably more hard core.
You should pull up this years 'Nigella's Amsterdam Christmas Special' on the iplayer and forward to the liquorice shop bit. She has a lovely case she purportedly keeps her liquorice in, made me think shame I don't like liquorice! 😂

I’ve never seen licorice root for sale, though I’ve never looked for it, either. I’ll be keeping my eye out for now, just out of curiosity.

If it were easier had, it’d be an excellent challenge ingredient.

Back
Top Bottom