Liver - do you love it or hate it?

What did Jonathan Swift say, something like, "The first man to eat an oyster was very brave."

I always amend that to, "...was very hungry!"
And these days often the modern man eats them for the first time because, "He was very drunk!" Seriously. That's how I got my husband to try them for the first time, as well as sushi. I know how you feel about seafood, LOL. Bet you really can't wrap your head around eating it uncooked.

Yorky your plate is exactly the way my mum used to make it for us, I need to buy some now your pic reminded me of good times. Mum used to do the gravy and bacon as well with the onions.
My wife WONT buy offal let alone touch it. So she never buys it, BUT she will buy chicken livers because they are in a sealed container with no visible part to be seen, mainly because she loves chicken liver pate.
Never tried pigs liver though.

Russ

I often wonder to myself "Who was the first person to try X food? What were they thinking... 'Oh, organ meat from an animal sounds delicious.'? LOL

More than likely, they said "Oh, organ meat is better than dying of starvation."

CD

Well cleaned liver is delicious to me. I love me a pasta with chicken livers or bread with a good paté. I do have a preference to livers made from white meat over darker meat, the taste is a little more refined. I prefer goose, chicken or calves liver to pork or beef liver.

Reactions: mjd
I absolutely love liver - but it must be properly cooked (not overcooked which makes it dry and 'chalky)'. Calve's liver is great but lamb's liver and pork liver are both fine as far as I'm concerned. Having said this, its one of those foods that I couldn't eat very often. Maybe I could eat it once a week, if that. There is something very rich about it (despite the fact its low calorie) and its such a distinctive taste. I like to cook it so that its a bit pink inside.

There's an interesting Portuguese recipe called Iscas where liver is cooked in white wine, vinegar and garlic. I've in the past made a version of it with rosemary added - its a herb which seems to complement liver.

I quite like liver - I wouldn't say its my favourite meat, but I'll happily eat it if its cooked properly. I rarely cook it though because my husband doesn't like it.

I do love a good chicken liver parfait or pate. I always make a pate around Christmas time but I've never tried to make a parfait.

Foie gras is a real treat - we've got one can left of the ones we brought back from France last year but we haven't decided yet when we're going to have it (it'll be either valentines day, our wedding anniversary or my birthday). Its funny that hubby actually likes it given his dislike of liver, but the texture and flavour is very different so I guess that explains it.

I have known some folks who love Liver and Onions, but I in all honestly, never liked Liver. I fully understand that certain organs are very rich in nutrients and I will eat Poultry Giblets, but not Liver. I don't even like the smell of cooking Liver.

I quite like liver - I wouldn't say its my favourite meat, but I'll happily eat it if its cooked properly. I rarely cook it though because my husband doesn't like it.

I do love a good chicken liver parfait or pate. I always make a pate around Christmas time but I've never tried to make a parfait.

Foie gras is a real treat - we've got one can left of the ones we brought back from France last year but we haven't decided yet when we're going to have it (it'll be either valentines day, our wedding anniversary or my birthday). Its funny that hubby actually likes it given his dislike of liver, but the texture and flavour is very different so I guess that explains it.
Ah! You reminded me. I do like liver pate.

Turkish style pan fried calf's liver with onion salad and fried chilies (a.k.a Edirne Tava Ciger

Recipe:
View: https://youtu.be/P9kGa-6EOQQ

Back
Top Bottom