Living near water

Duck59

Guru
Local time
1:06 AM
Website
duckholiday.com
I've always lived near a river and/or the sea. It's pretty easy in the UK, this being a small island surrounded by the sea and with lots of rivers. Even when I've not lived by the coast (as I do now), I've been close to a river. Even when I lived in Eritrea, the Red Sea was about half a mile from my house.

I always find that a walk by the sea, a river or a canal to be relaxing and quite therapeutic. There's always something to see and even if there's not much wildlife around, it's generally a peaceful experience.

Anyone else feel the same? Or how about those who are a long way from the sea or a body of water?

I positively hate beaches and the ocean or other large bodies of water. I'm not that crazy about rivers, either, and wherever a river runs through a city (at least around here), it smells bad and it's always dirty.

Small lakes, mountain lakes, and small creeks, I'm fine with. I liked a lot of the rivers in the UK, because they were small and rather gentle. When we lived near Huntingdon, I used to walk sort of along the River Ouse, but even then, it's something I'd rather observe from a distance than right up on. Creek/River/Lake/Ocean water always smells awful to me.

I've always lived near a river and/or the sea. It's pretty easy in the UK, this being a small island surrounded by the sea and with lots of rivers. Even when I've not lived by the coast (as I do now), I've been close to a river. Even when I lived in Eritrea, the Red Sea was about half a mile from my house.

I always find that a walk by the sea, a river or a canal to be relaxing and quite therapeutic. There's always something to see and even if there's not much wildlife around, it's generally a peaceful experience.

Anyone else feel the same? Or how about those who are a long way from the sea or a body of water?

I agree - I'd give anything to live in a house with sea views.

Salt in the air is cheaper than therapy.

I am a complete fish out of water where I am, but I've gotten use to it...that's isn't saying that I like being away from the water. Fortunately, I can get down tot the waterfront on nice days. Not the same as the ocean, but it works. I'll also try to drive out to the Chesapeake Bay every couple of months to kill time.

Being from Bermuda, I was swimming before I was walking. Moving to DC form Hawaii was a BIG change in lifestyle and environment. Even living in Amsterdam had plenty of water, and Vancouver BC was cold, but had some great beaches and sailing. Having spent may years on the East Coast, the Atlantic is always good to be out on, but I do miss my home waters.

Absolutely love the water. Was fortunate to have been raised on a peninsula with Lake Erie directly across the street from our house and the bay bordering our back yard. Favorite vacations involve beaches, boats, fishing, snorkeling and meals at water front outside venues. When the time comes, I want my ashes spread in the bay behind my childhood home. Yea.... I love being on the water ❤️❤️

My fave aunt and uncle lived on rockinghorse road, in a two story house, you just has to walk out the door and you're on a track that leads over some dunes and the seas right there. They used to pick us up for the day and take up home later. I absolutely loved it there. Paddles or swimming in the shallows in summer. Looking out over the city from upstairs always fascinated me. If you google maps rockinghorse rd new Brighton you will see what I mean about close to the sea. New Brighton must be the only place in the world where houses are cheap as chips. The area has a bad reputation. Lots of crime as lower social economic people. I feel at home there as my grandparents lived there and I stayed there a lot.
Lyttleton is a port town that's lovely in the summer, but cold as hell in the winter. It's a 30 min drive from me.

Russ

When I was a kid in New Jersey, our family spent two weeks every year at the beach, Usually Wildwood, which hd nice beaches and a boardwalk for evenings.

The short time I lived in Cincinnati, my friends and I would follow the creek near our house down to the Ohio river, and chit-chat about building a river raft and taking it to New Orleans -- Tom Sawyer dreams. :laugh:

In Port Arthur, Texas, water was everywhere. Once I had wheels, we went to the beach, a lot. I went hunting in the marshes. We would sit along the seawall and kill time watching the big ships go by.I was also a Red Cross approved life guard. The only jobs for lifeguards were at pools. The beaches around there had no lifeguards.

In North Texas, there are man-made lakes everywhere. I live in between two of them. I've owned four boats, and two SeaDoos. Two of the boats were sailboats, and two were powerboats.

Never really got into fishing, except for deep offshore fishing -- like 100 miles off in the Gulf for three days. That was more of an adventure than sitting still and quiet for hours in a Bass Boat in a lake.

CD

While I live by the North Sea, I certainly have no intention of swimming in it. I recall a surprisingly hot summer's day a few years ago when we took a walk down the coastal path. I took off my sandals and had a little plodge in the sea. I didn't last long - it was perishing.

* Plodge: a north-east of England word meaning to wade or splash around at the edge of the sea.

I love looking at the sea, walking by it and swimming in it. Thankfully it's only 120 metres away. Today is very sunny and calm like yesterday
1612005305093.png
1612005334195.png
1612005373680.png

My dream house is on the Southern (Atlantic) coast of Cape cod. I doubt It will happen, unless I win the Texas lottery which I never play because it is a tax on the poor and desperate, or I outlive my parents, which is unlikely.

So, I'm hoping for my very smart real estate investments to allow me to buy a lakeside property without too many rednecks, although I can get along with them, if I have to. Small, comfortable home, and a good boat. I'd be happy with that.

CD

Water is my element, although my zodiac sign says it is air.
The sea in particular is part of my maternal and paternal origins and I am lucky enough to be able to return to Sardinia every year and enjoy its sea. Lombardy does not have a sea but it is rich in rivers and lakes and when the mild season starts, I never deny myself a trip to the river Trebbia (swimming into it as well) as well as Lake Como, which I can reach in half an hour by car and Lake Maggiore in an hour, or Liguria, also called the second home of the Milanese people, which being the closest region to go to the sea even if only for a day-trip, it is not difficult to understand why.
I also really like the sea in winter, dark, angry, cold.
Walking along the shoreline in winter has a different flavour. Certainly more uncomfortable but pleasant.
Would I like to live by the sea? It's a constant thought. One of my dreams - quite unrealistic - would be to live in a lighthouse.

Water is my element, although my zodiac sign says it is air.
The sea in particular is part of my maternal and paternal origins and I am lucky enough to be able to return to Sardinia every year and enjoy its sea. Lombardy does not have a sea but it is rich in rivers and lakes and when the mild season starts, I never deny myself a trip to the river Trebbia (swimming into it as well) as well as Lake Como, which I can reach in half an hour by car and Lake Maggiore in an hour, or Liguria, also called the second home of the Milanese people, which being the closest region to go to the sea even if only for a day-trip, it is not difficult to understand why.
I also really like the sea in winter, dark, angry, cold.
Walking along the shoreline in winter has a different flavour. Certainly more uncomfortable but pleasant.
Would I like to live by the sea? It's a constant thought. One of my dreams - quite unrealistic - would be to live in a lighthouse.

Sounds amazing all those rivers and lakes you can swim in! We have a lot of lakes and rivers, but can only swim in the ocean. The rest is too polluted.

If you ever have a chance you're welcome to visit us, we're less than a mile from the ocean. I just haven't visited much yet because of the strain we've been under and the constant pain in my hernia that made walking in the sand harder.
However since I am on a low fibre diet the pain has subsided mostly, so we've been to the beach for the first time in months last weekend. We've promised each other to go every other week from now on. We both love the smell (sorry Tasty ) and the energy of the beach. It's very relaxing for both me and my husband. Might be because we're both fire signs (I am leo and he's aries) so we can use a little cool off time once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom