Living near water

I guessed that was why you were hear, I was there 20 years before you but I bet it has not changed. I lived on site at R.A.F. Wyton and visited Alconbury on occasion, they did a mean T-Bone stake there. We used to swim in the river late in the evening
In 2019, we went back for the first time since 1995, and while the heart of the village is still intact, it's much more populated now, they've built up around the mill, and the little road up to RAF Alconbury has been completely redone. Plus, there's a bunch of new housing just past the base, where the McDonald's used to be.

It's different, but recognizable. I couldn't believe it when we were driving out of the village and I saw the woman from whom we rented our house all those years ago. :)

In 2019, we went back for the first time since 1995, and while the heart of the village is still intact, it's much more populated now, they've built up around the mill, and the little road up to RAF Alconbury has been completely redone. Plus, there's a bunch of new housing just past the base, where the McDonald's used to be.

It's different, but recognizable. I couldn't believe it when we were driving out of the village and I saw the woman from whom we rented our house all those years ago. :)

I don't think there was any McDonald's in the UK in the 70's, just a few houses and the mill to my memory.

I don't think there was any McDonald's in the UK in the 70's, just a few houses and the mill to my memory.
Forgive my being an anorak, but I discover that the first MuckDonald's in the UK opened in London (Woolwich, to be precise) as long ago as 1974. I imagine that they concentrated on cities and large towns in the early days.

Forgive my being an anorak, but I discover that the first MuckDonald's in the UK opened in London (Woolwich, to be precise) as long ago as 1974. I imagine that they concentrated on cities and large towns in the early days.

That confirms that there was no McDonalds in Huntingdon in 1970-1973🙂

My mention of a humpback whale near the coast here reminded me that one of the best little pieces of advice I had before going to Eritrea for two years came from a former volunteer I knew in Edinburgh. She said, "Get yourself a mask and a snorkel." Now, I'm not a brilliant swimmer, but I can get by as long as the water is fairly calm and not too deep. I duly purchased the gear and was very pleased that I did. Admittedly, marine biology isn't a strong suit, either, but I got some wonderful close-ups of brightly coloured tropical fish and an array of crabs, lobsters, etc. We even had a few sharks, but just very small reef sharks that scuttled away if you came near them.

Back
Top Bottom