Living Without Salt & Sugar

Lin

Veteran
Local time
12:03 AM
Are there any persons crazy (or smart) enough to go without salt and sugar in the diet...I mean...I tried it just for a week, and It's been years now since I have done it again. One thing I can say though, it made me feel so healthy and my skin became clearer....the body still needs these valuable stuff if even in small quantities. Hypertension is a killer, but I little salt can't kill...right. Diabetes...a...killer...

I don't really see the benefits to ditching my pepper, but can see how eliminating salt would be great. I don't put a salt shaker on my table. It just kills the temptation and you won't feel the need to add extra salt when you're eating.

I would like to point out that you probably mean added salt and sugar, since these substances are absolutely essential parts of our nutrition. It may be possible to not eat sugar since the body is capable of converting starches to sugar, but we need sugar to live. There are unhealthy sugars and it is certainly possible to consume too much sugar. The fact that the taste of sugar is so pleasant should be a clue. A normal diet will not need added salt. Sea salt is a healthier choice when salt is needed or desired.

Yeah I'd call that crazy. There is no point in cutting these things out completely, I can understand trying to keep them within reasonable amounts though. Also stopping completely for one week and then resuming like before will not help you at all... that's kind of like quitting smoking for a week and then continuing after that.

The point is that sugar and salt are part of a natural, healthy diet. Apples and oranges have sugar in them, as well as some salt. Pancakes or biscuits smothered in cane syrup should not be a major portion of your diet. Of course, if you are spending your day bucking logs pancakes and syrup is a little more acceptable. Diet is part of a total lifestyle. An Olympic weight-lifter will need a different diet from an office worker who does a little yoga.

I have reduced the amount of sugar and salt I add to food, but that's pretty much it. To me, when used in moderation, both of these substances are fine. I just think that most people overuse sugar and salt. And then, if you go out to a restaurant to eat, you really get an abundance of both in your meal.

I have tried to remove sugar from my diet and I have been semi successful at it but I did notice a difference in the break outs on my skin were happening less and less with the limited amount of sugar. I have been really good about my intake of candy but I can't seem to get rid of the sugar in fruit and cereal but I think the limited amount of sugar I take in is ok. I could never give up salt, that is my go to when I am craving anything! I love chips and crackers too much to give up salt.

I have more of a savory tooth than a sweet tooth, so if I had to give one up it would probably be sugar but to be honest I think everything, including sugar and salt are ok in moderation as part of a healthy, balanced diet.

Salt and sugar are also important in some aspects to some of our body processes. For me it is not living without salt and sugar and it is living with salt and sugar with the right amount and proportion that our body needs.

Years ago I drastically reduced the amount of salt in my diet. I thought it was the healthy thing to do. My blood pressure dropped, but my blood pressure was never high. My primary doctor warned me to start adding salt back into my diet. So I added non-refined salt. My blood pressure is still lower than average, but not dangerously low.

I struggle to reduce sugar from my diet. I didn't realize how much sugar I was eating until I started reading labels. Now, I have mostly eliminated processed food from my diet. I only eat fruit sparingly. I still have a sweet tooth though and go for the occasional pie or dark chocolate almonds.

I've started healthy living, but I don't think I could last a day without salt and sugar. I need flavor, even in my healthy food choices. I've lessened my sugar intake and I follow a meal plan, but it still includes salt on the menu.

I think that I can survive without sugar (and I do avoid sugar and sweets etc. because I have a weight issues related to hormonal problems), but I do not think that I can eat unsalted food...I like my salt and pepper so much ....I do realize that salt is not really that good for our health etc., but I just can't help it-I like when a dish is properly salted...

One of the local Chinese takeout places near me sells combo meals that are cooked with no added oils or salt. They are surprisingly good, aside from the fact that the steamed rice adds a ton of calories if you were to eat it all. But the rest of the ingredients were just a nice medley of vegetables, and some giant pieces of shrimp (or chicken, which is what I would usually get). I was surprised how much the meals had flavor on their own without all the added fat and sauces. I even enjoyed the baby corn in it, which I usually hate.

I could probably get by if I stuck to omelettes and toast in the morning with coffee, and meals similar to these Chinese restaurant combos - but it would be tough to stick to it for a long period of time.

You could try not completely removing salt and sugar from your diet, just replacing them with healthier alternatives. Honey or Brown sugar and sea salt or other more exotic salts. I don`t really consume much sugar, but I always use honey instead of sugar in my meals, even in my morning coffee.

Most food consists of sugar and salt, so it's hard to totally eliminate the two from any kind of diet. It's better to just lessen the intake of bad sugar like chocolate and all kinds of sweets so there is a difference in feeling lighter and being healthier.

Back
Top Bottom