Recipe Lobster Diablo

CraigC

Guru
Local time
10:39 AM
Back when Karen and I owned a boat, we would go diving every opportunity we got. If the weather was good on the weekends, we did 3 dives a day. On average, we would catch 200 to 300 Florida/Caribbean lobster per season. Sprinkled in with these we would also catch, shovel nose, slipper and Spanish lobster. Besides what we kept for ourselves, lets just say many friends, family and neighbors were kept happy. Anyway, when you are lucky enough to have lots of lobster tails in the freezer, you get tired of the same preparations again and again. So we came up with several dishes and this diablo is one of them.

Lobster Diablo
With this recipe you can adjust the ingredients to your taste. Although I'm going to give amounts, I really just "eyeball" it. Feel free to adjust away to make it your own. This recipe was originally developed using Florida/Caribbean spiny lobster tails, but I'm sure Maine lobster tails would work fine.

Ingredients
4 Previously frozen lobster tails, meat removed, cut into 1/2" chunks and shells saved.
1 Medium sweet onion, 1/4" dice
1-1/2 cups bell peppers, 1/4" dice. I prefer to use a combo of red, yellow and orange. but you can use all of one or whatever combo you want. No green please.
1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic
1 tsp Coleman's dry mustard
1/2 tsp Cayenne (this is a minimum, adjust to your liking)
1/2 stick of unsalted butter
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/8 cup freshly grated parmesan
Splash of dry white wine, vermouth or dry sherry
salt and pepper to taste

Method
1) To remove meat from shells, use a pair of cooking shears to cut the membrane on the underside of the tail, along the swimmerette line, on both sides. Do this from open end to the tail fin, then cut the membrane off at the tail fin. From the open end you should be able to slip a finger between the meat and shell to pop the meat out. Set the shells aside as you will be stuffing the diablo mixture into them.
2) Preheat oven to 350 F and heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
3) Melt 4Tbsp butter in skillet. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until softened.
4) Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
5) Add lobster meat, mustard and cayenne. Saute until lobster meat is opaque.
6) Salt and pepper to taste.
7) Add bread crumbs and mix into lobster mixture. .
8) Add wine. The mixture should be moist, without excess liquid in the pan. If too dry add more wine. If too moist add more bread crumbs.
9) Remove from heat.
10) Using a spoon, stuff mixture into reserved shells and bake on a cookie sheet until golden brown on top.
11) Sprinkle cheese evenly over top. Place back in oven until cheese melts. Serve immediately and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds lovely. I imagine it would look very pretty too. Sadly, I only get lobster occasionally as I need to drive to the coast to get fresh lobster. There isn't even a fishmonger in Maidstone unless you count the supermarket counter and I can't recall the last time I saw lobster there. I can get frozen Canadian lobsters but frankly, they are not worth bothering with.

Ah well, next time I get a lobster....

Sounds lovely. I imagine it would look very pretty too. Sadly, I only get lobster occasionally as I need to drive to the coast to get fresh lobster. There isn't even a fishmonger in Maidstone unless you count the supermarket counter and I can't recall the last time I saw lobster there. I can get frozen Canadian lobsters but frankly, they are not worth bothering with.

Ah well, next time I get a lobster....

I have to admit, that when it comes to seafood, I am a total SNOB! When it comes to fin fish, if I didn't shoot it or get it from a trusted source, I won't touch it. I do not buy filets unless I see the whole fish first. With the exception of shrimp/prawns, I won't buy shellfish unless it is alive.

I have to admit, that when it comes to seafood, I am a total SNOB! When it comes to fin fish, if I didn't shoot it or get it from a trusted source, I won't touch it. I do not buy filets unless I see the whole fish first. With the exception of shrimp/prawns, I won't buy shellfish unless it is alive.

I would be a snob if I had the choice! :laugh: When I buy lobster I get it from the fish market in Whitstable where its fished, same with oysters. But - I have just remembered the fish stall in Saffron Walden market (I regularly stay in Saffron Walden with my friend). The fish comes from Lowestoft and they do have lobsters. Next time I go I'll make a point of cooking lobster to your recipe, hopefully with a photo.

Back when Karen and I owned a boat, we would go diving every opportunity we got. If the weather was good on the weekends, we did 3 dives a day. On average, we would catch 200 to 300 Florida/Caribbean lobster per season. Sprinkled in with these we would also catch, shovel nose, slipper and Spanish lobster. Besides what we kept for ourselves, lets just say many friends, family and neighbors were kept happy. Anyway, when you are lucky enough to have lots of lobster tails in the freezer, you get tired of the same preparations again and again. So we came up with several dishes and this diablo is one of them.

Lobster Diablo
With this recipe you can adjust the ingredients to your taste. Although I'm going to give amounts, I really just "eyeball" it. Feel free to adjust away to make it your own. This recipe was originally developed using Florida/Caribbean spiny lobster tails, but I'm sure Maine lobster tails would work fine.

Ingredients
4 Previously frozen lobster tails, meat removed, cut into 1/2" chunks and shells saved.
1-1/2 cups bell peppers, 1/4" dice. I prefer to use a combo of red, yellow and orange. but you can use all of one or whatever combo you want. No green please.
salt and pepper to taste

Method
1) To remove meat from shells, use a pair of cooking shears to cut the membrane on the underside of the tail, along the swimmerette line, on both sides. Do this from open end to the tail fin, then cut the membrane off at the tail fin. From the open end you should be able to slip a finger between the meat and shell to pop the meat out. Set the shells aside as you will be stuffing the diablo mixture into them.
3) Melt 4Tbsp butter in skillet. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until softened.
8) Add wine. The mixture should be moist, without excess liquid in the pan. If too dry add more wine. If too moist add more bread crumbs.
9) Remove from heat.
10) Using a spoon, stuff mixture into reserved shells and bake on a cookie sheet until golden brown on top.
11) Sprinkle cheese evenly over top. Place back in oven until cheese melts. Serve immediately and enjoy.

Thanks I will try this, I'm the only one In My family that eats seafood. We get crayfish here but similar to lobster meat. Very expensive to buy but I do swaps. I've never paid for a cray in 30 years.ive got friends that would love this.

Russ

Thanks I will try this, I'm the only one In My family that eats seafood. We get crayfish here but similar to lobster meat. Very expensive to buy but I do swaps. I've never paid for a cray in 30 years.ive got friends that would love this.

Russ

I meant to reply last year. Your "crayfish" are similar to our spiny lobster. They are actually called "crayfish" by many in the Caribbean. I much prefer them to "Maine" lobster. I also make a version of this recipe using jumbo lump blue crab meat as a stuffing for fish and shrimp.

I meant to reply last year. Your "crayfish" are similar to our spiny lobster. They are actually called "crayfish" by many in the Caribbean. I much prefer them to "Maine" lobster. I also make a version of this recipe using jumbo lump blue crab meat as a stuffing for fish and shrimp.

I need to try Maine lobster,lol.

Russ

Lobster Diablo

Ingredients
salt and pepper to taste

Method
9) Remove from heat.

I was recently given 4 frozen crayfish tails, I need to pick 3 other friends to spoil. I will do this dish. My wife hates the smell of fish and won't even be in the room when I cook it. But this way she may stay in the room. Crays here are a bit cheaper as the Chinese market has basically stopped due to virus.

Russ

I prefer spiny lobster, too, over Maine lobster.

CD

CraigC

Living in close proximity to the Gulf of Mexico I admit to being a seafood snob. Unfortunately no lobsters. Several markets - large and small have live Maine lobster or previously frozen tails. What do you recommend?

When I read the name of your recipe I admit to not being interested. In my mind Diablo means hot for the sake of heat. I am glad I checked it out. Sounds wonderful.

CraigC , thanks for recipe. I will try it. Where do you find slipper lobster to purchase? Do you know any place in California? I have never seen it before.

To my knowledge, they are not commercially harvested.

CraigC

Living in close proximity to the Gulf of Mexico I admit to being a seafood snob. Unfortunately no lobsters. Several markets - large and small have live Maine lobster or previously frozen tails. What do you recommend?

When I read the name of your recipe I admit to not being interested. In my mind Diablo means hot for the sake of heat. I am glad I checked it out. Sounds wonderful.

I never do anything "For the sake of heat". I even make Thai curry pastes on the mild side. Heat can always be added to one's taste.

Back
Top Bottom