Lobster

Lobster poached in garlic butter with parley is so good. It's definitely a meal you enjoy every now and then. Since it's expensive and has loads of butter. However, it is also pretty good grilled up with some garlic sauce. My mother in law likes to cook to steam it with some black bean sauce while my mother prefers to make it cantonese style. Both of these are pretty good.

I'm from East Coast Canada and lobster is a staple. We generally do buy them live and cook them ourselves though. Most of the time we'll eat it right out of the shell with nothing at all. We usually get enough to last us a couple of days at least so the next day we'll make sandwiches or lobster rolls. We chop up some lobster and add mayonnaise. Put that between two pieces of nice, homemade bread...delicious! A lobster roll is the same premise, lobster/mayonnaise and we use a hot dog bun. Put a little of butter on each side of the bun and pan fry that a bit so it gets nice and toasty, then add the lobster mixture in it! Don't put too much mayonnaise, just enough to get a bit of the taste but not so much that you lose the taste of the lobster.

I'm from East Coast Canada and lobster is a staple. We generally do buy them live and cook them ourselves though. Most of the time we'll eat it right out of the shell with nothing at all. We usually get enough to last us a couple of days at least so the next day we'll make sandwiches or lobster rolls. We chop up some lobster and add mayonnaise. Put that between two pieces of nice, homemade bread...delicious! A lobster roll is the same premise, lobster/mayonnaise and we use a hot dog bun. Put a little of butter on each side of the bun and pan fry that a bit so it gets nice and toasty, then add the lobster mixture in it! Don't put too much mayonnaise, just enough to get a bit of the taste but not so much that you lose the taste of the lobster.

We live on an island and sometimes we get fresh catches directly from the boat. At times we do this with our lobster and crabs. Boil them up and have them with butter. We get fresh shrimp on the regular that we toss big portions in the freezer. We make a seafood burger that has whatever seafood we have on hand. Sometimes fish and shrimp with the lobster. It makes one of the best burgers! Even better if it is done on a grill for that smokey flavor.

@aquaticneko Yes, we sometimes get fresh catches directly from the boat as well. You have to be there early because people will wait for it and they don't give out that much. It's more of a you have to know someone kind of deal and it's a good thing we know someone. I have honestly never had crab, well no, I sort of lied there. I've had crab in like crab dips or even seafood chowder but not by itself. I would love to try it but while lobster is very popular around here, crab really isn't. It's there but certainly not as much.

I don't have lobster very often due to the expense. I do have crab fairly often though, as there are local suppliers not far from here. I think many people do like lobster, and those who can easily find it due to geographic proximity are lucky. It is a very good food.

You are very lucky to be able to source fresh live lobsters. But I wouldn't use mayonnaise. I hate the stuff but I know almost the whole world loves it. I do make my own sometimes, though. To me, lobster is such a delicate special thing. And the shells make the best seafood stock ever!

@morning glory Yes, I am lucky to be living where I do. We get fresh live lobsters and get our own clams, it's great. I generally like my lobster with nothing, maybe dip it in a little melted butter but that's about it. I do like a lobster roll with mayonnaise the day after but some people put way too much on and you can't even taste the lobster. What's the point of it if you can't taste it? I put a little bit in mostly just enough to keep the meat together but otherwise it's not to hide the taste of it, it's just too good.

We went out last week off Lyme Regis and baited pots with small whiting and were lucky enough to get some lobsters next day ,fresh lobster cooked in sea water couldn't beat it

Back
Top Bottom