Long and slow cooked beef loses flavour

Roger Burton

Local time
10:27 AM
Website
www.rogerburton.co.uk
Hi chaps, sometimes when I cook a tough cut of beef (short ribs, shin or maybe brisket) in a casserole in the oven or slow cooker it turns out dissapointing taste-wise, almost dry, the sauce/stock is always fantastic so, I guess, I've left it tooooo long (maybe 4 or 5 hours). Sometimes it's ok, falls apart and tastes good so difficult to establish what I'm doing wrong sometimes ... anyone any suggestions please ?

Did you take an Internal temp? When I cook brisket on the smoker, I'm looking for 198F to 205F.

Did you braise it first? That will sear the meat and lock in the flavors as it slow cooks.

Have you checked that your Crock-pot isn't getting too hot? I had one that could boil water when set on high. I replaced it quickly.

Usually, times are 4 hours on high or 6-8 on low, depending on what you're making. I would use "low" for tough cuts.

Good luck next time!

Did you braise it first? That will sear the meat and lock in the flavors as it slow cooks.

Have you checked that your Crock-pot isn't getting too hot? I had one that could boil water when set on high. I replaced it quickly.

Usually, times are 4 hours on high or 6-8 on low, depending on what you're making. I would use "low" for tough cuts.

Good luck next time!

Do you mean brown it first? His cooking method is braising.

That's such a good idea CraigC I hadn't though of that ... I'll certainly try it next time, I guess it's a bit difficult with "stewing steak" cut into small chunks but ribs or a small piece of brisket should be ok. I don't use my thermometer enough because I, too often, get lazy and go for recipes that say "you can't cook this for too long".

Hi chaps, sometimes when I cook a tough cut of beef (short ribs, shin or maybe brisket) in a casserole in the oven or slow cooker it turns out dissapointing taste-wise, almost dry, the sauce/stock is always fantastic so, I guess, I've left it tooooo long (maybe 4 or 5 hours). Sometimes it's ok, falls apart and tastes good so difficult to establish what I'm doing wrong sometimes ... anyone any suggestions please ?
Difference in quality of beef? Nothing wrong with cooking time - I will often leave mine for twice that long.

I tend to "brown" the meat for added flavour and visual appeal ... I don't believe it "seals" the meat though. I almost always leave my SC on the low setting but that's a good tip mjd I'll get it out tomorrow and fill it with water and check the temp ... mind you the same thing happens in a low oven and I trust the temperature of that thing.

Difference in quality of beef? Nothing wrong with cooking time - I will often leave mine for twice that long.

Well you have me there epicuric ... quality ... when I go to a local butcher, even one that knows me, and ask "what's that Brisket like" ? he always says it's the best, surprise surprise ... and in supermarkets it's generally pre-packed. I'm afraid I wouldn't know how to judge the quality of a piece of meat by looking at it only when it's cooked, then it's too late. ok I can check on the marbling of a piece of ribeye but after that I'd be struggling.

Last edited by a moderator:

If it is dry, it is very likely overcooked. At 4 to 5 hours, I'd say it could be overcooked. That will both make it dry, and less flavorful. Use a sharp skewer to probe the meat when it is close to the cooking time. It should glide through the meat. When it does, it is done, take it out. With meats like that, you can't really depend on times and temperatures. You are best off to go by feel.

CD

I tend to "brown" the meat for added flavour and visual appeal ... I don't believe it "seals" the meat though. I almost always leave my SC on the low setting but that's a good tip mjd I'll get it out tomorrow and fill it with water and check the temp ... mind you the same thing happens in a low oven and I trust the temperature of that thing.

Browning is good, but is purely for flavor. It does NOT seal in juices. That is an old cooking myth.

CD

how to judge the quality of a piece of meat by looking at it
You can't really. Apart from colour - the darker the better, avoid anything that's bright red and leaking fluid, it's not been aged for long enough. That would include most supermarket beef. Buying direct from the farm gate is best, if you can. They can't blame suppliers for a bad batch like a butcher can. I've known quite reputable butchers take a bit of a flyer with a borderline product. A fair proportion of customers either wouldn't notice, or would assume responsibility for cooking it badly. The few that did complain would get a free replacement, thus maintaining customer loyalty anyway.

A friend gave me some pork stew meat last week. The pictures aren't that great but give you an idea of what I'm trying to describe.

Back
Top Bottom