Long distance food - why?

Duck59

Guru
Local time
6:16 AM
Website
duckholiday.com
I bought some onions at the local Co-op the other day. Normally, we buy loose onions, but they didn't have any, so I just grabbed a bag of three. I didn't look at the label until I got home and then saw that they emanated from New Zealand.

Why on Earth are the Co-op sourcing onions from the other side of the world? They are hardly exotic things that cannot be grown here. The Co-op likes to big up its ethical credentials, but things like this don't do much for them.

Onions from New Zealand does indeed seem strange. I'm used to out of season foods being imported but not so much things like onions. But maybe I've never checked.

I think though, the UK is somewhat different from other countries. As a small island with colonial history, we've have a long history importing food from other parts of the world. I think its much less in many other countries. We are literally spoilt for choice here.

I don't have the answer but..
Years ago I went to Tijuana Mexico, right next door to California. For some reason, they wouldn't let us cross the border with a piece of fruit. Odd.

Onions from New Zealand does indeed seem strange. I'm used to out of season foods being imported but not so much things like onions. But maybe I've never checked.

I think though, the UK is somewhat different from other countries. As a small island with colonial history, we've have a long history importing food from other parts of the world. I think its much less in many other countries. We are literally spoilt for choice here.
Food out of season is exactly why we have things imported to the States from Mexico. But, this time of year, I'd think it wouldn't be an issue.

Years ago I went to Tijuana Mexico, right next door to California. For some reason, they wouldn't let us cross the border with a piece of fruit. Odd.

I know there are concerns about insects in the food when you cross borders: they don't want us to import something that could damage our crops.

I don't have the answer but..
Not only is it the dreaded fruit fly and the diseases that it causes and spreads but also the actual fruit seeds themselves. Some varieties of say apples end up germinating at the side of the road. This causes problems with no end of things including cross pollination of apple crops in the vicinity. Fruit across territory or state borders in Australia is a massive no no. Same applies for potatoes and other vegetables and in some cases within borders as well. I'm right on the edge off an area where you're not allowed to grow your own potatoes or move them into or out of the zone without permits.
It's also very frequent to see people selling all of their livestock (chickens, alpaca, sheep, goats) and sometimes pets as well when they move interstate in Australia. This also includes getting rid of all wooden furniture just in case it is harbouring something. Eggs are another thing that in theory shouldn't be moved across some (but not all) territory/state boundaries but ironically fertilised eggs are another matter and they can often be moved around states or territories via commercial plane flights (just carry on in your hand luggage).

Onions from Australia or New Zealand doesn't surprised me. We've just had Autumn and are now headed into winter, so we've just had a harvest and the UK/Europe is 6 months from theirs. Supply and demand. Apples will also be coming from New Zealand.

Australia had a very big campaign to ensure everything is grown, made and/or produced in Australia and it is very common here to see product labels saying 100% Australian grown or similar. Even tbe product is much less Australian the country of origin is much less obvious and sometimes you'll need a magnifying glass to read it!

Just a small sample from my fridge or pantry.
20190626_071912.jpg 20190626_072010.jpg 20190626_072036.jpg 20190626_071538.jpg 20190626_071605.jpg 20190626_071642.jpg 20190626_071721.jpg

Nz supply all sorts of fruit n veg all over the world, our clean green image is really a misnomer. IMHO. I remember being in Harrods many years ago and seeing nz lamb on sale. And cheaper than it was back here. !! Our apples end up everywhere. Japan is a huge buyer as is the states.

Russ

Satnav, I remember at the border of nsw and Queensland checkpoints to check for fruit. And that was only about 15 years ago?

Russ

I had a chat to the fellow who runs our local fruit and veg shop. He said he had some Dutch onions, but they weren't very good and he got Spanish ones that were an improvement. Still imported, but nowhere near the distance as the Co-op ones.

Back
Top Bottom