Recipe Looking for the name to this recipe

grumpyoldman

Local time
2:51 PM
Yesterday the wife made supper and made something that we have made 2-3 time a year as long as i can remeber but one one knows what to call it , so give it a try and suggest a name for it. The recipe is :

Ingredients
1 lb ground beef (drained)
2 cans of pork and beans
1 can tomato sauce/paste
1 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 large onion (chopped)
1 teaspoon black pepper
a pinch of garlic powder

Method
Add the beef a large frying pan along with the pork and beans, cook on med heat. Add the remaining ingredients and cook until the sauce thickens and serve.

its simple , it tastes great. we know of several people that makes slighly differant versions of this but no one seems to know quite what to call it

Last edited by a moderator:
I googled it and saw Hamburger and bean skillet, Cowboy casserole...

it the best traditions of the "US dinner" . . . .
it's a "hash"

diners offer "hash" of many many varieties - beef hash, potato hash, hamburger hash . . . on and on.
basically . . . all the left over stuff from yesterday . . .

given the history of "hash" from per-revolutionary to current times, like not an explicit name of those exact ingredients.
"cowboy hash" sounds great - uhmmm, ahhhmmm, bunches of 'other' ingredients..... (oops...)

the simplicity of ingredients . . . I'd go with "bean&beef" hash.
but you will not find that definition anywhere as a "named recipe"

it the best traditions of the "US dinner" . . . .
it's a "hash"

diners offer "hash" of many many varieties - beef hash, potato hash, hamburger hash . . . on and on.
basically . . . all the left over stuff from yesterday . . .

given the history of "hash" from per-revolutionary to current times, like not an explicit name of those exact ingredients.
"cowboy hash" sounds great - uhmmm, ahhhmmm, bunches of 'other' ingredients..... (oops...)

the simplicity of ingredients . . . I'd go with "bean&beef" hash.
but you will not find that definition anywhere as a "named recipe"
I call that a goulash.

In the south hash always has potatoes in it. At least where I came from.

i like the name "Cowboy casserole" thanks!! thats what we will start calling it
the name kinda fits with the beans and ground beef in it
sounds like something the cook might have made in the old cattle drive days

It does sound similar to the ‘Cowboy Stew’ that was a right of passage as the first thing everyone cooked in their very first ‘home economics’ class at school 40 years ago.
Now I come to think about it, it’s an unusual choice for school children in the 80’s!

Hash here always contains potatoes.
But I don’t know what tins of pork and beans are or what sort of mince needs to be drained so I’m not a lot of help on this one 😂
Pretty sure you have canned beans with pork in the in the UK?
i like the name "Cowboy casserole" thanks!! thats what we will start calling it
the name kinda fits with the beans and ground beef in it
sounds like something the cook might have made in the old cattle drive days
I also saw Cowboy skillet (stovetop preparation). Cowboy casserole rolls off the tongue better, i think.

Pretty sure you have canned beans with pork in the in the UK?

I also saw Cowboy skillet (stovetop preparation). Cowboy casserole rolls off the tongue better, i think.
There are tins of beans with mini sausage (if you can call them that) in it. Like this ⬇️ Is that the sort of thing?
IMG_2120.jpeg

I’m not aware of the existence of any other type of pork (or meat) and beans.

Back
Top Bottom